Friday, March 9, 2018

TCM Backlot Now $7.97 a Month

It was on April 27 2016 that Turner Classic Movies announced the launch of their first official fan club, TCM Backlot. According to the press release at the time, "TCM Backlot will give fans unprecedented access to all things TCM including exclusive content, never-before-seen talent interviews, archival videos from the TCM vault, an exclusive TCM podcast, as well as opportunities to win visits to the TCM set, attend meet and greets with TCM hosts and the opportunity to influence programming through online votes." TCM Backlot was eagerly embraced by Turner Classic Movies fans, although it presented many of them with one major problem. A subscription to TCM Backlot cost $87.

Sadly, the annual subscription cost put TCM Backlot out of reach for many fans on limited budgets, myself included. Fortunately it was earlier this year that TCM announced a monthly plan whereby people can pay only $7.97 a month to be a part of TCM Backlot.. I joined nearly as soon as I got the email. I cannot speak for every fellow TCM fan living on a limited budget, but I know for myself that $7.97 a month was a much more affordable option than $87 a year.

Of course, I know many of you might be asking whether TCM Backlot is worth it even at $7.97 a month. I would say that it most definitely is. The archival videos from the TCM vault alone are worth the price of admission. Just this past week I watched the TCM Launch Featurette, several old introductions by Robert Osborne, and the TCM Remembers for Robert Osborne. TCM Backlot also has contests regularly, whereby one can win anything from a visit to TCM in Atlanta to tickets to Fathom Events and TCM's Big Screen Classics series. There also interviews, behind the scenes looks, and much more. If one can afford the $7.97 a month to join, I highly recommend joining TCM Backlot.

3 comments:

Chuck Sherrod said...

I was the one who suggested to TCM that they offer this monthly payment. They never even thanked me. I found no use for Backlot, hope your experience was better.

Unknown said...

I would like to join @ $7.97. Tell me how. I'll join now.

Terence Towles Canote said...

The price has gone up to $9.97 since I made this post, but it is still worth it. Just go to this link. https://join.tcmbacklot.com/p002