Monday, June 21, 2021

Announcing the 8th Annual Rule, Britannia Blogathon

I am proud to announce the 8th Annual Rule Britannia Blogathon, which will take place on September 24, 25, and 26 2021.

While many people think of Hollywood when they think of classic movies, the fact is that the United Kingdom made many significant contributions to film over the years. From the Gainsborough melodramas to Hammer Films to the British New Wave, cinema would be much poorer without the British.

Here are the ground rules for this year's blogathon:
1. Posts can be about any British film or any topic related to British films. For the sake of simplicity, I am using "British" here to refer to any film made by a company based in the United Kingdom or British Crown dependencies. If you want to write about a film made in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, then, you can do so. Also for the sake of simplicity, people can write about co-productions made with companies from outside the United Kingdom. For example, since 2001: A Space Odyssey is a British-American co-production, someone could write about it if they chose.

2. There is no limit on subject matter. You can write about any film in any genre you want. Posts can be on everything from the British New Wave to the Gainsborough bodice rippers to the Hammer Horrors. I am also making no limit on the format posts can take. You could review a classic British film, make an in-depth analysis of a series of British films, or even simply do a pictorial tribute to a film. That having been said, since this is a classic film blogathon,  I only ask that you write about films made before 2011. I generally don't think of a film as a classic until it has been around for thirty years, but to give bloggers more options I am setting the cut off point at ten years ago.

3. I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover From Russia with Love (1963), someone else could write about the James Bond series as a whole.

4. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between September 24, 25, and 26 .
If you want to participate in the Rule, Britannia Blogathon, you can simply comment below or get a hold of me on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com
.
Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come September 24 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon:

Realweedgiemidget Reviews: Venom (1981)

A Shroud of Thoughts: Catch Us If You Can (1965)

Films From Beyond the Time Barrier: Night Creatures (1962)

Cinematic Carthasis: The Epic of Everest (1924)

Taking Up Room: Amazing Grace (2006)

Silver Screenings: Fire Over England (1937)

18 Cinema Lane: Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Silver Screen Classics: Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

Crítica Retrô: The Fallen Idol (1948)

Dubsism: Dr. Zhivago (1965)

Liberal England: "Children and Bomb Sites in Poast-War Britain"

Caftan Woman: The Lavendar Hill Mob (1951)

Cinema Essentials: The Thirty Nine Steps (1978)

Silver Scenes: The Loves of Joanna Godden ( 1947 )

Below are graphics you can use for the blogathon or you can always make your own!


 




16 comments:

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi Terence, can you add me with Venom (1981)?

Brian Schuck said...

Hi Terence! I'd like to do Hammer's Night Creatures (1962) with Peter Cushing.

Rebecca Deniston said...

Hi, Terence! I'd like to write about "Amazing Grace" if that's OK. Glad you brought this back. :-)

Silver Screenings said...

Hi there! I'd like to do the Vivien Leigh - Lawrence Olivier film, Fire Over England (1937), if not already taken.

Silver Screen Classics said...

Hello! This looks like an awesome idea for a blogathon and would love to do Goodbye Mr Chips (1939). Hope that's ok! Best regards, Paul from Silver Screen Classics

18 Cinema Lane said...

Hello Terence! May I join this blogathon by reviewing 'Kingdom of Heaven'?

said...

I’m glad this blogathon is back! I’d like to write about The Fallen Idol (1948), please!
Greetings,
Le from Crítica Retrô

J-Dub said...

I'd like to join with 1965's Doctor Zhivago.

Jonathan Calder said...

Hello Terence

May I do "Children and bombsites in post-war British films? Key texts include Hue and Cry, Passport to Pimlico, The Yellow Balloon, The Weapon and The Heart Within.

Many thanks

Jonathan

Terence Towles Canote said...

That would be fine, Jonathan.

Caftan Woman said...

Starting to catch up. May I bring 1951s The Lavender Hill Mob to the table?

Cinema Essentials said...

Hello Terence. I hope you are well.

This year I would like to bring you the 1978 version of The Thirty-Nine Steps.

My site is www.cinemaessentials.com

Jay

The Metzinger Sisters said...

Rule Brittania! I almost missed this blogathon! How dreadful that would have been, it's one of my favorites. I would love to contribute two posts, but at the moment I only have one title to offer: The Loves of Joanna Godden ( 1947 ). My blog is Silver Scenes: silverscenesblog.blogspot.com

Cinema Essentials said...

Hi Terence. This is my post for the blogathon. Thanks for hosting.

https://www.cinemaessentials.com/2021/09/the-thirty-nine-steps-1978-robert-powell-film.html

Jay

Caftan Woman said...

Here are the optimistic and persistent thieves from Lavender Hill: https://www.caftanwoman.com/2021/09/the-8th-annual-rule-britannia-blogathon.html

The Metzinger Sisters said...

Hi Terrance,

I'll be posting The Loves of Joanna Godden over the weekend, but for now I have an extra Brit film review if you have room to squeeze in one more: https://silverscenesblog.blogspot.com/2021/09/the-sinister-man-1961-edgar-wallace.html