Monday, January 2, 2017

Announcing The 3rd Annual Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon

Today I am announcing A Shroud of Thoughts' third annual "Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon". The first two years were fairly successful, so I am looking forward to another year's worth of good blog posts. For those unfamiliar with the Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon, it is a blogathon in which bloggers write entries about their favourite episodes of their favourite classic television shows. This year it will take place March 24, 25, and 26.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Posts in the blogathon must be about an episode from a scripted drama. Episodes of reality shows, talk shows, game shows, and variety shows are ineligible. That having been said, posts can be on episodes from any genre of scripted dramas: animated shows, anthology shows, detective shows, police procedurals, science fiction shows, situation comedies, and so on. I also have to say that episodes can be from scripted dramas that aired any time of day. They don't have to be from prime time alone. If one wanted to write about his or her favourite episode from his or her favourite Saturday morning cartoon or daytime soap opera, one could.

2. Because this blogathon is dedicated to classic television and I think a classic is something that must have stood the test of time, episodes must be from shows that are at least 25 years old. That means one cannot write posts on episodes from shows that debuted after 1992 (nothing from Friends, let alone The Big Bang Theory). Now here I want to point out that the episode itself does not have to be 25 years old, only the show on which it aired. Cheers debuted in 1982 and ran until 1993, so that its final season aired after 1992. Because Cheers is well over 25 years old, however, one could still write about an episode that aired in the 1992-1993 season.

3. Given my love of British television, it should come as no surprise that posts do not have to be about episodes from American shows alone. Posts can be about episodes from any show from any country as long as the show is a scripted drama and debuted over 25 years ago. If you want to write about your favourite episode of The Saint, The Little Hobo, Jaianto Robo, or Escrava Isaura, you can.

4.  I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from The Twilight Zone, someone else could still write about another Twilight Zone episode.

5. In keeping with ground rule no. 4, I am asking that if you participated in the past years' blogathons that you write about a different episode from what you did the past years. That having been said, you could write about an episode from the same show.  If you wrote about the Star Trek episode "Amok Time" last year, then you could write about the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" this year.

6. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between March 24, March 25, or March 26 2015.

7. On March 24 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page. If you want you can use one of the graphics below or make your own!

If you want to participate in the Favourite Television Show Episode Blogathon, you can simply comment below or you can get a hold of me either on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come March 24 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon.

The Hitless Wonder Blog: The Avengers "Return of the Cybermen"
Caftan Woman: Wagon Train "Little Girl Lost"
Coffee, Classics, and Craziness: Wanted: Dead or Alive "Secret Ballot"
The Horn Section: Hondo "Hondo and the Gladiators"
Trekking Through Hobbit Holes: T. J. Hooker "Vengeance is Mine"
Portraits By Jenni: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea "The Phantom Strikes"
Moon in Gemini: Blackadder "Head"
Bewitched with Classic TV Mary Tyler Moore "Put On a Happy Face"
Realweegiemidget: Dallas "Conundrum"
Doesn't She Ramble: Quantum Leap "M.I.A."
The Movie Rat: You Can't Do That on Television "Adoption"
Crítica Retrô Moonlighting, "Here's Living with You, Kid"
Love Letters to Old Hollywood: Get Smart "The Impossible Mission"
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: ALF "Strangers in the Night"
The Midnite Drive-In: Star Trek "City on the Edge of Forever" and Star Trek: the Next Generation "Time's Arrow"
Dragonthief: The Virginian "Ryker"
Whimsically Classic: I Love Lucy ""The Million Dollar Idea"
Old Hollywood Films: Gunsmoke ""The Jailer"
Silver Scenes: The Avengers "Dead Man's Treasure"
Elisabeth Grace Foley: The Waltons "The Book"
The Wonderful World of Cinema: Bewitched "Samantha's Curious Cravings"
John V's Eclectic Avenue: Lost in Space "Invaders From The Fifth Dimension"

Below are some graphics you can use for the blogathon (or you can always make your own)!


53 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

I'd like to join this year with a look at the final episode of Wagon Train entitled Little Girl Lost from 1964.

Caftan Woman said...

...continuing...Okay, it's not the final episode, but it is in the screwy final season where they went back to black and white. Honest, I do sort of know what I'm doing.

Eva said...

Yay! I loved participating in this blogathon the two previous years - thanks for hosting it once again. :) I'd like to write about the Wanted: Dead or Alive episode "Secret Ballot".

Looking forward to this!

~Eva

Terence Towles Canote said...

I have you both down! Anyway, that final season of Wagon Train is a topic my brother and I often talk about. Why did ABC switch back to black and white?

Hal said...

Terence, in keeping with the western theme, I'll choose the HONDO episode "Hondo and the Gladiators".

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Hal!

Eva said...

Thanks! And I'm sorry for the mix-up, but I actually moved my blog to Wordpress - it's now called Coffee, Classics, and Craziness (classicsandcraziness.wordpress.com/). :)

~Eva

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got it fixed, Eva!

Maribeth said...

Hi! I'd like to join this year with the 1982 episode "Hooker's War" from the police show T.J. Hooker. I have a Wordpress blog called "Trekking Through Hobbit Holes" (with a web address of www.formidablecourage.com). Looking forward to this!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got it down, Maribeth!

Debbie Vega said...

Hi, Terry, I think it's time for me to take on a Blackadder episode! I will review "Head."

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Debra! I love Blackadder!

Phyl said...

I'd like to join with 3:23 of the MTM show "Put on a Happy Face". My blog is Bewitched with Classic TV http://bewitchedwithclassictv.blogspot.com/

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi, I'd like to join with the final episode of Dallas. My blog is Realweegiemidget Reviews, https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/

Thanks, Gill x

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi. Would love you to join my new blogathon, it’s the Here’s Jack Blogathon, to celebrate Jack Nicholson’s 80th Birthday 22 April 2017.
https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/jack-nicholson
Love Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you both down, Phyl and Gil! BTW, Gil, would Head or Easy Rider be all right for the Here's Jack Blogathon?

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Got someone doing Easy Rider already so if you want to be original Head would be great x But its your call - either is fab. So happy you joining xx

Terence Towles Canote said...

Gil, I'll write about Head then!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Great will add you to the list, thanks for joining xx

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Please note, more dates added https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/blogathons/jack-blogathon-links/jack-whos-doing-what/

grezilda said...

I'd like to join with Quantum Leap, episode M.I.A.
-grezilda
grezilda.wordpress.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I've got you down for it, Grezilda!

said...

Hi, Terence!
want to write about Here's living with you, kid: an episode of Moonlighting that spoofs botyh The Sheik and Casablanca.
Cheers!
Le

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Lê!

Michaela said...

So glad to see this blogathon is still going -- it's one of my favorites! I'd like to do an episode of Get Smart called "99 Loses CONTROL," please.

LoveLettersToOldHollywood.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Michaela!

Quiggy said...

My initial reaction was to do an episode (or actually two since they were typically two-part shows) of the 60's "Batman". I just bought the boxed set the other day. But since I haven't actually watched but a few, I think I'll hold off on that until next year. However, my still #1 favorite show being "Monk", and since I have that entire series (and have watched each episode numerous times), I think I'll pick "Mr. Monk and the Red-Headed Stranger" (featuring Willie Nelson as a guest star), if that's OK.

Quiggy said...

I missed the part about it being older than 1992, sorry.

Maribeth said...

I'm thinking about changing my episode; I still really want to do an episode of T.J. Hooker, but after considering it I think I'd rather do "Vengeance is Mine" than "Hooker's War." It has a more compelling storyline, plus the added fun and appeal of a Shatner/Nimoy reunion. Would that be okay?

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you switched to "Vengeance is Mine", Maribeth!

Quiggy said...

I've had time to mull it over. The "Monk" episode being disqualified (again apologies), I went back to the drawing board. Since I was a history major in college, and since time travel has always been a topic of interest to me, I thought I might approach how Star Trek universe used time travel and the effects, good or bad, on history. The focus will be on TOS: The City on the Edge of Forever and ST:TNG's "Time's Arrow (Pts I & II)" I will briefly reference a few other episodes that involve time travel, but they shouldn't interfere with someone else's choice if they happen to pick them.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I've got them down for you, Quiggy!

Kyle Shultz said...

This looks like fun, and I'm a big fan of classic shows. I'd like to join in with "Ryker," episode 1, season 3 of "The Virginian." My blog (called "Dragonthief") is at www.kylerobertshultz.com.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you added, Kyle!

Kyle Shultz said...

Thanks! :)

Kayla said...

I'd like to do Episode #79 of "I Love Lucy," entitled "The Million Dollar Idea."

https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/

Kayla

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got it down for you, Kayla!

Amanda Garrett said...

I would love to write about the jailer episode of Gunsmoke, which features Miss Bette Davis

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Amanda!

Michaela said...

Could I please switch my episode of Get Smart to "The Impossible Mission"? I watched this episode for the first time yesterday and I just knew I needed to change my topic. Thanks, and sorry for any potential inconvenience!

Terence Towles Canote said...

Michaela, I got it changed!

The Metzinger Sisters said...

I think I missed this event last year, so I don't want to pass it up again. Can you put me down for my favorite Avengers episode : Dead Man's Treasure ( 1967 )? - Constance ( Silver Scenes ) silverscenesblog.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Constance!

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Am I too late to join in here? If not, I'd like to write about The Waltons Season 3 episodes "The Book."

Terence Towles Canote said...

No, you're not too late Elisabeth! I got you down for it.

Virginie Pronovost said...

Hi Terence! I hope I'm not to late to subscribe!

I'd like to write about Bewitched's episode Samantha's Curious Cravings

My blog is The Wonderful World of Cinema
https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Ginnie!

John V said...

If I'm not too late to join the party, I'd like to write about "Invaders From The Fifth Dimension" from Lost in Space.

My blog is at http://jveclectic.blogspot.com.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I have you down for it, John!

Amanda Garrett said...

Here's the link for Old Hollywood Films article on The Jailer. I'm a bit early but I have several events this weekend.

http://www.oldhollywoodfilms.com/2017/03/bette-davis-in-jailer-episode-of.html

Thanks for hosting!

John V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiggy said...

http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com/2017/03/time-is-of-essence.html

My post is now up. Thanks

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Just to say my post is now up on the last double bill episode of Dallas​ (1991)

https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/dallas-end

Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews