As regular readers of this blog probably already know, Beth of the lovely voice laid down a challenge for me at the first of the year. The challenge was simply this: I must create and post one pop culture quiz a month in A Shroud of Thoughts. The quizzes can have a single theme or simply be a collection of random things. At the end of 2008, the reader who has accumulated the most points throughout the year will win a pop culture related prize. For those of you curious about the prize, I decided that it will be a pop culture related key chain of the winner's choice, to cost no more than $5.00 (minus sales tax). The price limit is for the simple fact that I can't afford platinum plated key chains... I'll provide the answers on January 3, 2009.
Since it is the holiday season, I thought I would dedicate this quiz to it.
1. The Puritans in England banned Christmas in what year?
2. Who brought the custom of the Christmas tree to the United Kingdom?
3. In what newspaper was A Visit from St. Nicholas (AKA 'Twas the Night Before Christmas) published?
4. A Christmas Carol was responsible not only for reviving Yuletide customs in the United Kingdom, but also the career of what writer?
5. When and where was the Christmas card invented?
6. In what year was Christmas declared a federal holiday in the United States?
7. Who was the first person to light a Christmas tree with electric lights?
8. What was the name of George Bailey's guardian angel in It's a Wonderful Life?
9. In what year did A Charlie Brown Christmas first air?
10. What was it that Ralphie wanted for Christmas in A Christmas Story?
Book Review: When Broadway Went to Hollywood
2 days ago