Here are the answers to the Pulp Magazine Quiz from September 23.
1. What is generally considered the first pulp magazine?
2. What was the first pulp magazine dedicated to a single genre?
Detective Story Magazine
3. What was the name of the famous horror pulp (originally published by J.C. Henneberger in 1823 and published stories by Robert Bloch, Robert E. Howard, and H. P. Lovecraft?
4. The Shadow was mostly written by what man?
5. In what year was the science fiction magazine Astounding (now Analog) first published?
6. Name Doc Savage's five assistants (their nicknames will do)?
Monk, Ham, Renny, Long Tom, and Johnny.
6. What was the name of The Spider's girlfriend?
Nita Van Sloan
8. What famous hero pulp was first published by Popular Publications the same month that Popular first published The Spider?
G-8 and His Battle Aces
9. Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective, first appeared in what pulp magazine?
10. In what year did Street Smith cancel nearly all of its pulp magazine line, including The Shadow and Doc Savage (bonus points for the one Street and Smith pulp magazine that was spared and survives to this day)?
1949. Astounding was the one that was spared.
Book Review--Jean Cocteau: A Life
2 days ago