Anyhow, onto post 1001! As regular readers of this blog probably already know, Beth of the lovely voice laid down a challenge for me at the first of the year. The challenge was simply this: I must create and post one pop culture quiz a month in A Shroud of Thoughts. The quizzes can have a single theme or simply be a collection of random things. At the end of 2008, the reader who has accumulated the most points throughout the year will win a pop culture related prize. For those of you curious about the prize, I decided that it will be a pop culture related key chain of the winner's choice, to cost no more than $5.00 (minus sales tax). The price limit is for the simple fact that I can't afford platinum plated key chains... I'll provide the answers around the end of the month.
This year has seen the 75th anniversary of three of the most famous pulp magazine heroes: Doc Savage, The Spider, and G-8. For that reason, I thought this month's quiz should be dedicated to the old pulp magazines (by the way, a lot of the answers can be found in this blog's old and not so old posts....)?
1. What is generally considered the first pulp magazine?
2. What was the first pulp magazine dedicated to a single genre?
3. What was the name of the famous horror pulp (originally published by J.C. Henneberger in 1823 and published stories by Robert Bloch, Robert E. Howard, and H. P. Lovecraft?
4. The Shadow was mostly written by what man?
5. In what year was the science fiction magazine Astounding (now Analog) first published?
6. Name Doc Savage's five assistants (their nicknames will do)?
6. What was the name of The Spider's girlfriend?
8. What famous hero pulp was first published by Popular Publications the same month that Popular first published The Spider?
9. Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective, first appeared in what pulp magazine?
10. In what year did Street Smith cancel nearly all of its pulp magazine line, including The Shadow and Doc Savage (bonus points for the one Street and Smith pulp magazine that was spared and survives to this day)?