Monday, November 4, 2019

TCM Announces Its First Films at the 2020 TCM Classic Film Festival

Today Turner Classic Movies announced its first few movies that will be shown at the 2020 TCM Classic Film Festival. I am sure that many TCM fans are excited by this news, particularly given some of the movies showing this year. In my case, I am excited because two of the films have had a personal impact on me. Of course, one of them has probably had a personal impact on most Gen Xers. I am sure that The Wizard of Oz (1939) was the first classic movie ever seen by most Gen Xers. I know it was the fist classic movie I ever saw. As to the other movie that had a personal impact on me, that would be Jason and the Argonauts (1963), which was the first movie I can ever remember seeing all the way through. As to why The Wizard of Oz was the first classic movie I ever saw even though I had seen Jason and the Argonauts first, well, keep in mind I saw Jason and the Argonauts when I was only four years old. I don't think it could be considered a classic yet, although it most certainly is now.

I am excited about many of the other movies as well. There will be a 70th anniversary presentation of Harvey (1950), which is my second favourite Jimmy Stewart movie (after It's a Wonderful Life). There will also be the classics The Bishop's Wife (1947) and Lost Horizon (1937), both of which I love. Somewhere in Time (1980) is also being shown. I do love the film, although given the subject matter (writer falls in love with actress), I am not sure I am ready to watch it any time soon! About the only film announced today that I am not excited about is Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977). I never have liked that film.

As to passes for the festival, there will be a pre-sale for Citi members on Tuesday, November 19. Public passes for the festival go on sale on November 21. I have to warn you that the passes are expensive this year! The cheapest pass is the Palace Pass, which is $349. If you want to at least get access to Club TCM, the panels, and poolside screenings, you will want to get the Classic Pass, which is a whopping $749. Here I must point out that if you run a blog, you can always request media credentials (better known as a press pass). Media credentials will be made available in early 2020.

Anyway, I am sure many are looking forward to the 2020 TCM Classic Film Festival. I am hoping that I can go for the first time this year!

No comments: