Friday, May 25, 2018

"Friday on My Mind"

Friday has always been my favourite day of the week. Of course, as a child it meant that for the next few hours and two days there would be no school. In my family it also meant that we would go grocery shopping as soon as my brother and I got home from school. Along with groceries we usually got soda, candy, and comic books. For a good portion of my childhood at least one of the television networks had a movie anthology on Friday night, so I could look forward to watching a movie on TV. It was on Friday night that I first Seven Faces of Dr. Lao (1964), Yellow Submarine (1968), the Planet of the Apes movies, and the "Matt Helm" movies. As an adult Friday has meant that I would off work for the weekend.

Of course, I am not the only who loves Friday. Harry Vanda and George Young of The Easybeats loved Friday enough to write a song about it. "Friday on My Mind" would go to no. 1 on the Australian and New Zealand charts, no. 6 on the British chart, and no. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100. It would ultimately become The Easybeats' biggest hit worldwide. It should be little wonder that in 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) named it the "Best Australian Song" of all time.

No comments: