Friday, February 2, 2018

Great Movie Endings on TCM in March

I have a confession to make. While I love almost everything about Turner Classic Movies, I have never been very fond of the 31 Days of Oscar. For one thing, it is the one time of year when TCM shows more movies that I am not particularly interested in seeing than any other. For another thing, it pre-empts all of TCM's regularly scheduled programming. That means no Noir Alley, no Silent Sunday Nights, no TCM Underground for the whole month of February and the first few days of March. It is for that reason I find myself particularly looking forward to March on Turner Classic Movies (which also happens to be my birth month).

Of course, this March will mean more than the return of Noir Alley and other programming I love on TCM. I was looking through the schedule for March and I noticed a special block airing during the week of March 18 from Monday through Friday. It is called "Great Movie Endings", and I am assuming its title sums it all up. Regardless, they are showing some of my favourite films during the week. On March 19 at 10:45 PM they are airing King Kong (1933). On March 20 they are showing The Graduate (1967) at 7:00 PM followed by Modern Times (1938) at 9:00 PM.  At 7:00 PM on March 21 they are showing Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). The night of March 22 may be the best night of the week as TCM is showing films counted among the greatest ever made. At 7:00 PM they are showing Sunset Boulevard (1950) followed by Gone with the Wind (1939) at 9:00 PM. At 1:00 AM on March 23 they are showing Casablanca (1942), followed by Citizen Kane (1941) at 3:00 AM. On the night of March 23 they are showing The Third Man (1949) at 7:00 followed by Diabolique (1955) at 9:00.  Here I want to stress that these are not the only films TCM is showing as part of "Great Movie Endings", as there are many others. In fact, I have to say this is one of the most solid line-ups Turner Classic Movies might ever have had.

That having been said, over all the whole March looks very good on TCM this year. It almost makes up for missing Noir Alley for the entire month of February....

No comments: