Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Three Kate Bush Songs

Today is the birthday of one of my favourite singers and songwriters, Kate Bush. I had an enormous crush on her when I was young (all right, I still do) and I have always loved her songs. Here are three of my all time favourite Kate Bush songs.

First up is "Cloudbusting". The song itself is about the relationship between psychologist Wilhelm Reich and his son Peter. As to the video, it was directed by Julian Doyle (who edited the Monty Python films Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life, as well as Time Bandits), and conceived by Terry Gilliam. It features Donald Sutherland in the role of Wilhelm Reich and Kate Bush as his son Peter.




Next is what may be Kate Bush's best known song (at least in the United States), "Running Up That Hill". The concept behind the song is rather hard to describe, although Wikipedia has a good quote from Miss Bush on idea behind the song.



Last is my all time favourite song by Kate Bush, which also happened to be her debut single. As its title indicates, "Wuthering Heights" is based on Emily Brontë's novel of the same name and sung from the point of view of Cathy Earnshaw.

2 comments:

John Hitchcock said...

I love Kate Bush. I even managed to work her into a strange article earlier this month (http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/07/the-red-shoes-line-cross-and-curve.html). I remember back when I used to be an Unterganger I actually did a few videos that often cast her as the ultimate personification of good music, which of course led to an ongoing rivalry with Justin Bieber. I even wrote a short story loosely inspired by her song Hello Earth.

I had no idea it was her birthday. Darn, I wish I'd found that out sooner. She's got so many great songs it's a wonder you managed to pick any favorites at all.

Of course those are all good choices. Cloudbusting is a pretty emotional video and I do love Wuthering Heights and Running Up that Hill.

Frankly, I've gone through so many phases regarding personal favorites I don't think I could begin to rank them. I do enjoy those ones, along with The Man With the Child in His Eyes and all the other big ones.

Then of course there's a whole bunch of others: Rocket's Tail, The Red Shoes, Hello Earth are some that spring to mind. These days I sometimes find myself spontaneously singing lyrics from Lily. She's just such a talented artist.

Jeff Duncanson said...

I'm with you on the crush thing. Beautiful, sexy lady.