As regular readers of this blog probably already know, Beth of the lovely voice laid down a challenge for me at the first of the year. The challenge was simply this: I must create and post one pop culture quiz a month in A Shroud of Thoughts. The quizzes can have a single theme or simply be a collection of random things. At the end of 2008, the reader who has accumulated the most points throughout the year will win a pop culture related prize. For those of you curious about the prize, I decided that it will be a pop culture related key chain of the winner's choice, to cost no more than $5.00 (minus sales tax). The price limit is for the simple fact that I can't afford platinum plated key chains... I'll provide the answers on December 1.
Since Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the United States, I thought this quiz should be dedicated to this holiday. The questions are a little harder this time, but all the answers can be found in this blog except one (and it is a pretty easy one).
1. When and where was the first Thanksgiving held in the Thirteen Colonies?
2. In what year did Thanksgiving become a Federal holiday?
3. What famous song identified as a Christmas carol was originally written for Thanksgiving?
4. In What year was the first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade held (originally called the Macy's Christmas Day Parade, even though it was held on Thanksgiving?
5. What was one of the first four balloons in the parade and the first based on an animated character?
6. What happened to many of the pre-World War II balloons at the start of World War II?
7. On what network was the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade originally aired?
8. In what year did the Underdog balloon debut?
9. In what decade was the phrase "Black Friday" applied to the day after Thanksgiving?
10. What movie star celebrated his 120th birthday on Black Friday last year (clue: he starred in a movie called, well, Black Friday)?
Book Review: When Broadway Went to Hollywood
2 days ago