Saturday, February 11, 2006

Why I Am Always the Hero or the Religious Guy?

Tonight I thought I would post a batch of memes or, as I like to call them, "quiz thingies." With the exception of the "Which Big O Character Are You" Quiz (which was part of an article on The Big O), I have never posted memes on my blog because I feel like they are something of a cop out. To me if someone is going to post an entry to his or her blog, it should be something somewhat substantial. But it's Saturday night and after having written an epic, five part history of heavy metal, I am just about written out for the week. Here then, are a bunch of quiz thingies with some running commentary.

Let's start with a Sin City quiz...

You scored as Hartigan.
You are Hartigan.
You expect a lot from yourself. You want to do what is right, but if you don't succeed you can be very hard on youself. When things seem grim, litte things keep you going such as letters or gestures from others. A strong believer in justice, you always keep your values. Continue to make the most of your life, but make sure to ease up on yourself a little.

Hartigan

88%

Marv

68%

Gail

65%

Nancy

58%

Dwight

48%

Becky

20%

Yellow bastard.

18%

Shellie

18%

Jackie Boy

8%

Which Sin City character are you (new version)?
created with QuizFarm.com


Okay, given the nature of most of the characters in Sin City, it was a safe bet I would be Hartigan, given nearly every other character is a sociopath... In both Frank Miller's comic books and the movie based upon them, he and Marv are about the closest things to truly heroic figures. And I must admit that I would be willing to die for someone I cared about and I think I would even face the greatest obstacles for them (I have gone without sleep or eating, for instance...). Given that, I probably do have a good deal in common with Hartigan--at least more than most Sin City characters (which is probably a good thing).

Now for the Firefly Quiz...

You scored as Shepherd Book. Meria Book: Shepherd with a mysterious past.

Alliance Forces lick your boots when you show them your Ident Card.

You have the power to unleash your hair and frighten young girls.

And for a man of the cloth, you are awful damned good in a fight.

Shepherd Book

75%

Inara, the "Companion"

63%

Simon, the Doctor

56%

Jayne Cobb, resident bad-ass

56%

First Mate Zoe

56%

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

44%

Kaylee, the Mechanic

38%

RiVER

19%

Wash, the Pilot

19%

FiREFLY QUIZ
created with QuizFarm.com


Okay, I can see myself as Shepherd Book (well, outside of unleashing my hair and frightening young girls, anyway....) Besides Jayne, he was always my favourite character. And, while I am not a Christian as Book is, I am deeply religous. But how on Earth did Inara come in as the second closest to me? Being a Companion would violate my morals. I am not the least bit seductive or flirtatious (at least with just anyone). And then there is the fact that I think I probably have more in common with Malcolm than I do Inara...

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?

Okay, another religious figure. Notice a pattern developing? I have said I am deeply religious. And I know I can be mysterious. And I know I am short (not as short as Yoda granted...). But, seriously, did I have to be Yoda? Couldn't I be Mace Windu? He's religous and mysterious. And totally wicked with a light sabre....

Now onto The Big O Quiz...

Which Big O character are you?
Which Big O character are you?


Anyone else who wants to take the quiz, here's a link to it Paradigm City Personality Quiz

Of all the quizzes, this one makes the most sense to me. I mean, I do dress in black a lot. And I tend to be independent and a bit of a perfectionist. And, like Hartigan, Roger is willing to sacrifice himself for those he loves. Of course, given the number of religious types I am scoring as (Shepherd Book, Yoda...), I probably only scored as Roger Smith because there aren't any priests on The Big O...

Finally, let's see who I would be in Pulp Fiction...

What Pulp Fiction Character Are You?

You don't tolerate s***. The .45 you carry in you pocket is scary, but your words are the real threat, especially when you decide to get Biblical. Try to take it easy, but maintain that edge of yours, which tends to keep people wary in your presence.

Take the What Pulp Fiction Character Are You? quiz.



There's that religion thing again. Okay, Jules isn't a priest or a Jedi, but he does quote the Bible a lot and he has a habit of philosophising quite a bit (at least when killing people...). And, quite frankly, I would rather be a philosophical, professional killer than a simple professional killer...

All in all I think I've learned very little from this exericise. The quizzes have confirmed some things that I have long thought of myself. First, that I am strongly religious. I have always tended towards the spiritual side of life. That I would be Book in Firefly or Jules in Pulp Fiction is then no surprise (I still question Yoda though...). Second, I can be mysterious. Book, Yoda, Roger Smith, even Jules, are enigmas to those around them. I had a roommate who once described me as a deep well whose depths you never really see. Third, I am a blatant romantic. It should be no surprise, then, that I could be Hartigan or Roger Smith, two men who would die or face even worse fates for the ones they love. Four, I have always wanted to be the heroic type, although I am not sure I really am. Like both Hartigan and Smith I do have a strict code of honour that I try to abide by. I cannot always say that I succeed. Of course, if I am the hero, then I have to wonder why I don't get the girl...

No comments: