Friday, February 18, 2005

Enterprise Cancelled

UPN has cancelled Star Trek: Enterprise. I can't say I am really surprised. Ratings have not been particularly good since last season. When UPN moved the series to Friday, I pretty much knew that was the end. While there have been exceptions, most sci-fi series airing on Friday nights have gotten abysmal ratings. It doesn't surprise me that Star Trek: Enterprise was no exception.

Of course, Star Trek: Enterprise has had a rocky history. While I have always liked the show, there were some things I could have done without. I never did like the Suliban as villains and hated most of the time travel episodes, which occurred far too often. Last season's subplot involving the Zendi dragged on far too long. And I was never pleased that the producers never made much use of the aliens from the original series. This season is the first that we ever saw the Orions, who would have made far more interesting villains than either the Suliban or the Zendi. It is also the first season in which we have seen much of the Romulans. I guess I can at least be thankful that the Andorians appeared often.

As I said, I have always liked Star Trek: Enterprise. While I don't think it was the best Star Trek series (that would be the original), it was hardly the worst (that would be Star Trek: the Next Generation). It has produced quite a few episodes that I enjoyed, particularly those involving the Andorians and Vulcans. In fact, I think this season has been the best so far. That is what makes its cancellation so sad for me. Quite frankly, Star Trek: Enterprise has finally hit its stride. It's too bad it took the producers this long to get it right.

No comments: