Saturday, March 11, 2006

At Last, I am Not Yoda...

I feel as if I have to apologise for this post. I had said in a past post that I don't like posting memes, or as I call them, "quiz thingies," to my blog because I think that it is something of a cop out when it comes to posting something substantial. But it is the day after my birthday, I am tired, and not particularly in the mood for writing. Besides which, I finally took a Star Wars quiz where I did not turn out to be Yoda...

Obi Wan
You are Obi-Wan Kenobi! You are almost as good as
Yoda, but not quite! You are extremly
brilliant and an accomplished fighter, plus
you look good while kicking ass! When you
get older you will be very distinguished
looking!

Which Star Wars Character (Episodes 1-6) Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

I have to say that I am very happy that my result turned out to be Obi-Wan Kenobi. Don't get me wrong. Yoda is certainly wiser than Obi-Wan and better with a light sabre as well, but he also tends to be a lot shorter than I am (which says a lot) and has a tendency to speak in platitudes (I don't think I do much of that...). And I can see where I do have a lot in common with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan tends to be a bit of an idealist. He also seeks to do what he thinks best and tends to be very loyal to those close to him. Of course, I don't think I would do well as a Jedi (this whole thing about love and "the fear of loss..."). And I would like to think that if I were Obi-Wan I wouldn't have had an apprentice go over to the Dark Side. Too, I must admit that rather than either Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi, I would want to be Mace Windu. A guy could do worse than being the greatest swordsman in the Galaxy...

Of course, last time I posted quiz thingies to this blog I complained about always being the hero or the religious guy. I guess Obi-Wan is both, as is the following character I would be on the TV show Lost.

Locke
You are Locke, perhaps one of the most interesting
characters there is on this show! You are
dark and mysterious and at the same time you
can be happy and out-going. You have many
secrets that you don't like to share. You
fight what you are destined to do.

Which Lost character are you? WITH PICS!!!!!!!
brought to you by Quizilla

I am very happy with this result. Lost is my favourite show airing on network television right now and the only network TV show I watch regularly. Of course, John Locke is my favourite character. He tends to be a bit of a philosopher, although one who is also given to action (remember, he was the one who went to open the Hatch...). He is also a private individual, but one capable of interacting with others fairly well. And, as has been seen in a few flashbacks, Locke is a bit of a romantic. I think the biggest differences between myself and John Locke are that I don't believe in destiny (not quite the way Locke does, anyhow) and I am better looking (at least I still have hair...). Too, I must admit that I would have probably made a play for Kate after being on the island for awhile, which is something I don't think Locke would do (but then I don't guess he has a thing for Evangeline Lilly like I do...).

Even when I take a quiz to see which one of The Monkees I would be, it seems I turn out to be the thinker of the group...


Take the Hey Hey, Which Monkee Are You? Quiz.


I must say that I am happy with the result being Mike Nesmith. I do love all of The Monkees (and in truth, I am probably closer in height to Davy Jones...), but Mike was always my favourite. On the show he was always the one who thought up the plans and outlined a course of action. On the show he was also the most philosophical Monkee (on the episode "The Devil and Peter Tork," it is Mike who summarises Peter's defence against the Devil's case). In real life it was primarily Michael Nesmith who fought to have The Monkees play their own instruments and take control of their musical career. As a writer I can certainly identify with someone who wants control of their own work.

I cannot even really get too far away from the hero/spiritual guy/thinker figure when taking a quiz to determine which character from a certain Monty Python movie I am....

Take the quiz:
Which Holy Grail Character Are You?

Arthur, King of the Britons
Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!

Quizzes by myYearbook.com -- the World's Biggest Yearbook!


Okay, I am not sure that you could say that here are a whole lot of heroic figures or philosophical/spiritrual figures in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but I guess that Arthur is about as close to a hero as the movie comes. As to philosophical/spirtual figures, well, I am guessing that would be Tim the Enchanter. Of course, it seems to me that there aren't a whole lot of heroics or thinking that
necessarily takes place in that movie...LOL.

Of course, it isn't every single time that I take one of these quiz thingies that I turn out to be a hero, a thinker or a religious figure, but then I don't think that there are many of the Warner Brothers cartoon characters who fit any of those categories...

Take the quiz:
Which Warner Brothers Cartoon Character are You? (pics)

You are Marvin the Martian!
'Where's the KA-BOOM? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KA-BOOM!'
You're the testy little extra-terrestrial who has a keen desire to blow up the Earth with the Illudium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

a quiz by catz-eyes

Quizzes by myYearbook.com -- the World's Biggest Yearbook!



I have to say that Marvin the Martian has always been my favourite Looney Toons character. He is absolutely hilarious. Of course, I don't think I have much in common with him. I do have a bit of a temper and I am not that tall (not as short as Marvin, granted...), but that's where the similarities end. I have little desire to blow up the earth, conquer the earth, or exterminate humanity. But then, given the other choices, I probably am closest to Marvin out of all the Looney Toons characters. I really haven't much in common with any of them (which might actually be a good thing...).

In the next quiz I have to say that the result somewhat disturbs me, but then given the series of books and movies I am talking about, it isn't surprising.

You scored as Severus Snape. You have a very dark exterior, which makes others automatically form negative opinions on you. But those who have truly gotten to know you know that you're an astounding person that has been through certain life-altering events that make you so unique. You never wear your feelings on your sleeve, making you very secretive. You can be unfair because you hold strong grudges and may love revenge a little too much. You're mysterious and even somewhat misunderstood. But that's why you're such an interesting person.

Severus Snape

81%

Luna Lovegood

75%

Hermione Granger

63%

Sirius Black

59%

Albus Dumbledore

59%

Bellatrix Lestrange

59%

Harry Potter

53%

Lord Voldemort

53%

Ron Weasley

50%

Neville Longbottom

47%

Remus Lupin

41%

Oliver Wood

41%

Percy Weasley

34%

Draco Malfoy

28%

Harry Potter Character Combatibility Test
created with QuizFarm.com


To tell the truth, I really don't have too much in common with any of the characters from the Harry Potter series. The fact is, I probably do have more in common with Snape than any other character. We both tend to be very private and don't tend to be too emotive. But then there are some big differences. People do not automatically make negative judgements about me (in fact, at my jobs I am one of the few people who is universally liked). I also don't think I would be quite so unfair and so hard on Harry. Of course, I have to question the other results. Luna Lovegood? Hermione? I really don't think I have much in common with either of them (well, beyond loyalty to one's friends). If I am like any other Harry Potter character at all, I would think it would probably be Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, or even Dumbledore.

Finally, I would thought it would be fun to see what classic novel I would belong in...

pandp
I believe you belong in Pride and Prejudice; a
world of satire and true love. A world where
everything is crystal clear to the reader,
and yet where new things seem to be happening
all the time. You belong in a world where
your free-thought puts you above the silly
masses, and where bright eyes and
intelligence are enough to attract the
arrogant millionaire/prejudiced young woman
of your choice.

Which Classic Novel do You Belong In?
brought to you by Quizilla

Somehow this is not surprising. I have always loved Jane Austen's novels. In fact, Emma is one of my favourite books of all time. And I must admit that I have always thought that late 18th Century, early 19th Century England would be an interesting time and place to live--at least if it was like a Jane Austen novel. I like to think that I am a bit of a free thinker who tends to go his own way, a lot like Austen's characters. I guess I shouldn't point out that many of Austen's novels centre on the quest for love, although it is always the young women who give into the emotion without any forethought who come to a sad end (unlike some of her contemporaries, such as Byron, Austen was not part of the Romantic Movement). Sadly, I only wish I had the bright eyes and intelligence enough to attract the young woman of my choice (not that choice plays much of a role in affairs of the heart, in my humble opinion...). LOL.

I am not sure that there are many conclusions I can draw from this batch of quiz thingies. It seems as if with this set I am still always coming out as heroic, spiritual, thinking figures, with a dash of the romantic thrown in. I really don't know if that is how I am in real life. I certainly do suspect I have my fair share of faults. I think I do fall short of being Obi-Wan Kenobi or John Locke by a long shot. But it is definitely how I would like to be.

No comments: