Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Stop Worrying! Help! is on the Way

Help!, The Beatles' second live action film, is set for reissue on DVD on October 30. The classic film was previously issued on DVD in 1997 and again in 2000. It has long been out of print (I had to get my copy a few years ago on eBay). The 1997 edition was only available in full screen format and nearly a bare bones relese--the only extra was the theatrical trailer. I have never seen a copy of the 2000 edition, but I understand it was little better.

Because the earlier DVD issues of Help! left a bit to be desired, new of its reissue is made all the better in that it will finally receive the two disc treatment it deserves. The Standard Edition of the DVD will include the restored version of the film on one disc and the other disc will featuring a half hour long documentary on the making of the film, mini features on the making of the film, and a missing scene. There will also be a Deluxe Collector's Edition, which will include a reproduction of the original script director Richard Lester used and a 60 page hardback book with photos from the making of the movie.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I am a huge Beatles fanatic. And Help! is easily one my favourite movies of all time. It is about as close to the spirit of Swinging London that any movie had ever gotten. I don't know about anyone else, but I know I am already pre-ordering my copy on Amazon....

No comments: