Wednesday, July 26, 2023

1968 Coppertone Commercial

Among the things I remember from child are commercials for suntan lotion, now more commonly called sunscreen. During the summer commercials for suntan lotion were ubiquitous, particularly commercials for Coppertone. Here is an example of one of those commercials, which would have aired when I was a mere tyke.

The commercial is notable for starring Anne Randall, who was the Playmate of the Month for the May 1967 issue of Playboy. She would later be a regular for a short time on the soap opera Days of Our Lives and a regular for two years on Hee Haw. She guest starred on such shows as Banyon, McCloud, The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and The Rockford Files. She appeared in such movies as Hell's Bloody Devils (1970) and Westworld (1973), as well as the TV movie The Night Strangler (the sequel to The Night Stalker).

Interviewing Anne Randall in the commercial is Army Archerd, who was a columnist for Variety for over fifty years. Army Archerd also appeared in several movies, usually as himself, including Teacher's Pet (1958), What a Way to Go! (1964), Wild in the Streets (1968), and several others. He was well known for his appearances on Hollywood Squares in the Seventies.

Here I must note that while I remember suntan lotion commercials from my childhood well, I have never really used it. I am part Cherokee and I rarely get sunburns. And, before anyone says anything, yes, I know I should use suntan lotion.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Army Archerd also used to appear on occasion with his wife, Selma, on the CBS game show TATTLETALES back in the 1970s. Selma acted occasionally herself, most notably for me on THE BRADY BUNCH as one of the PTA members chasing around a goat mascot that Greg and his classmates had goat-napped from their rival High Schoo.