Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Announcing the 10th Annual Rule, Britannia Blogathon

I am proud to announce the 10th Annual Rule, Britannia Blogathon, which will take place on September 22, 23, and 24 2023.

While many people think of Hollywood when they think of classic movies, the fact is that the United Kingdom made many significant contributions to film over the years. From the Gainsborough melodramas to Hammer Films to the British New Wave, cinema would be much poorer without the British.

Here are the ground rules for this year's blogathon:

1. Posts can be about any British film or any topic related to British films. For the sake of simplicity, I am using "British" here to refer to any film made by a company based in the United Kingdom or British Crown dependencies. If you want to write about a film made in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, then, you can do so. Also for the sake of simplicity, people can write about co-productions made with companies from outside the United Kingdom. For example, since 2001: A Space Odyssey is a British-American co-production, someone could write about it if they chose.

2. There is no limit on subject matter. You can write about any film in any genre you want. Posts can be on everything from the British New Wave to the Gainsborough bodice rippers to the Hammer Horrors. I am also making no limit on the format posts can take. You could review a classic British film, make an in-depth analysis of a series of British films, or even simply do a pictorial tribute to a film. That having been said, since this is a classic film blogathon,  I only ask that you write about films made before 2013. I generally don't think of a film as a classic until it has been around for thirty years, but to give bloggers more options I am setting the cut off point at ten years ago.

3. I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover From Russia with Love (1963), someone else could write about the James Bond series as a whole.

4. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between September 22, 23, and 24 2023.

If you want to participate in the Rule, Britannia Blogathon, you can simply comment below or get a hold of me on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com

Below is a roster of the participants:

A Shroud of Thoughts: Local Hero (1983)

The Stop Button:
A Matter of Life and Death

Realweegiemidget Reviews:  Melody (1971)

Taking Up Room: The Lady Vanishes (1938)

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: Tiger Bay (1959)

The Midnite Drive-In: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

Films From Beyond the Time Barrier: Island of Terror (1966)

Silver Screenings: Gaslight (1940)

Moon in Gemini
: Day of the Triffids

Classic Movie Man
: The Forbidden Street

Paula's Cinema Club: Midsomer Murders

Dubsism
: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Make Mine Film Noir: The Third Man (1949)

Liberal England:
Tunes of Glory (1960)

The Wonderful World of Cinema: The Italian Job (1969)

By Rich Watson
: The Red Shoes (1948)

Shadows and Satin: It  Always Rains on Sunday (1947)

Whimsically Classic: Brief Encounter (1945)

Below are graphics you can use for the blogathon or you can always make your own!







23 comments:

Andrew Wickliffe said...

Hi Terry!

How about A Matter of Life and Death for The Stop Button?

Thanks!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Andrew!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi Terence, Can you add me with Melody (1971)? and a huge congratulations for running this great blogathon for 10 years!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Gill!

Rebecca Deniston said...

Hi, Terence! I'd like to review the 1938 version of "The Lady Vanishes," if that's OK.

Quiggy said...

Hello Terrence. I am finally, after limited activity for the past 3 years (not because of COVID, but it was one of the reasons I lapsed), have finally got The Midnite Drive-In back up and running regularly. I think The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen fits the criteria. If it does i will commit to that, or I will consider something else if it doesn't.

Brian Schuck said...

Hi Terence! I've been meaning to write about Terence Fisher's Island of Terror (1966), and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Thanks!

Stephen Reginald said...

I would like to do "The Forbidden Street," which was released by 20th Century-Fox and filmed at London Film Studios, Shepperton, England.

Paula said...

I know I am always asking for special dispensation, but I wonder if it would be okay if I wrote about the British TV shows Midsomer Murders? If not, no worries, I'll figure out something else. Thank you for considering, Terry.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Well, Rule, Britannia is more for British cinema, but then the episodes of Midsomer Murders are feature length, so I will allow it! Besides, I love Midsomer Murders.

Paula said...

Thanks, Terry! I can concentrate on the film actors who passed through Midsomer, there are quite a few ;)

J-Dub said...

Since you mentioned it in your intro piece, and since it's one of my favorites, I would like to contribute 2001: A Space Odyssey

J-Dub from https://dubsism.com/

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, J-Dub!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

See you doing Local Hero, great wee movie. And Burt Lancaster!

Marianne said...

Are you still accepting entries for the blogathon? If so, could I write about The Third Man (1949). My blog is Make Mine Film Noir.
Marianne
http://makeminefilmnoir.blogspot.com/

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Marianne!

Gill, I was having trouble making up my mind as what to do, and then I remembered I just watched Local Hero on TCM. It's one of my all time favourite movies and I have never written about it!

Jonathan Calder said...

Hello Terence

I'd like to write about Tunes of Glory (1960).

Best wishes

Jonathan

Virginie Pronovost said...

Wow! Can't believe this is the 10th edition! I would love to write about The Italian Job (1969). I'm at The Wonderful World of Cinema : https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

Karen said...

Hi, Terry -- just found out about your blogathon! Could I write on It Always Rains on Sunday?

Karen (Shadows and Satin)

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Karen!

Kayla said...

Can I write about Brief Encounter(1945) ?

Thanks!

Kayla (Whimsically Classic)

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Kayla!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi there,

Here's my post for DAY 1 of your blogathon. https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2023/09/17/films-melody-swalk-1971/

from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews