Monday, March 13, 2023

Academy Awards 2023

Last year was the first year in decades that I did not watch the Academy Awards. Under pressure from ABC, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences cut eight categories (Sound, Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Documentary Short, Animated Short, and Live Action Short) from the live ceremony. This was the final straw for me, after years of the Academy omitting beloved stars from the on-air In Memoriam, including my dearest Vanessa Marquez despite a petition to include her with thousands of signatures. This year the Academy restored the eight categories to the live ceremony, so I decided to watch, even though I knew I would probably be angered by the In Memoriam (more on that in a bit).

For the most part I enjoyed this year's Academy Awards ceremony, although I thought Jimmy Kimmel, who is usually quite funny, was unfunny for the most part. Indeed, some of his remarks were simply clueless. He acknowledged the return of eight categories to the live ceremony, which he attributed to protests from the film industry. In actuality, I think film buffs protested more than the film industry and many, like me, boycotted the ceremony last year because those categories were cut. Worse yet, Jimmy Kimmel began joking about the length of the ceremony before even an hour had passed. I think I can speak for many film buffs when I say that we really don't care how long the ceremony is and we have largely resented ABC and the Academy's attempts to make it shorter. Perhaps the low point for Mr. Kimmel was when he made a "joke" about Robert Blake being excluded or included from the In Memoriam. I personally thought the remark was both insensitive and in poor taste. Regardless of what Robert Blake may or may not have done, his death is very recent. His family is still grieving. I hate to think how his family felt hearing that "joke."

Fortunately, last night's presenters were much better than Jimmy Kimmel was. A lot of love was given to the craft categories, I am guessing because the Academy cut them from the live ceremony last year. Perhaps the most entertaining of the presenters was director Elizabeth Banks. Having directed the movie Cocaine Bear (2023), she presented the award for Visual Effects alongside a person in a bear suit. Never mind that the situation was funny in and of itself, Miss Banks was funny herself. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if she hosted the Oscars next year.

The acceptance speeches on last night's Oscars were also quite good. Ke Huy Quan, who won Best Supporting Actor for Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022), gave a very touching speech, and  noted that his mother was watching at home. He held up his Oscar, saying "Mom, I just won an Oscar!" Jamie Lee Curtis, who won Best Supporting Actress for Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022), praised the fans of her genre movies and remarked "We just won an Oscar." Both Brendan Fraser (who won for Best Actor for The Whale) and Michelle Yeoh (who won Best Actress for Everything Everywhere All at Once) both gave very touching speeches. Here I have to point out that Michelle Yeoh's win last night was historic. She is the first woman of Asian descent to ever win the Oscar for Best Actress. 

When compared to last year, the In Memoriam segment was much better staged. with Lenny Kravitz performing his song "Calling All Angels." Unfortunately, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences seem to have omitted more beloved actors and actresses this year than ever. Among the most glaring omissions was Paul Sorvino, whose career spanned over fifty years. Many of his fans (including myself) were not happy with the Academy for omitting him. Both his daughter Mira Sorvino and his widow Dee Sorvino have made their disappointment in the Academy clear. One would think if anyone would be included in the In Memoriam, it would be Paul Sorvino. Also omitted was Cindy Williams. While she may be best known for the TV series Laverne & Shirley, she appeared in several movies, including the classics  American Graffiti (1973) and The Conversation (1974). Several others were omitted from the In Memoriam, so many I don't think I can name them all. I apologize in advance for missing anyone. Anyway, also omitted from the In Memoriam were Ricou Browning, Pat Carroll, Kevin Conroy, Carole Cook, Melinda Dillon, Bert I. Gordon, Gilbert Gottried, Anne Heche, Marsha Hunt, Leslie Jordan, Yvette Mimieux, Robert Morse, Stella Stevens, Topol, and Fred Ward.

The omissions of Paul Sorvino and Cindy Williams particularly anger me, and having had someone I love omitted from the Oscars in the past I can fully sympathize with their families and friends. What the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences should realize is that the In Memoriam isn't simply for the Academy, it is for the families, friends, and even fans of those who have passed. When I watch the In Memoriam on the Oscars, I want to see very single actor, actress, director, et. al. that I admire who has died. I am really not concerned with how long the In Memoriam is, and I don't think anyone except ABC and the Academy are.

Aside from the omissions from the In Memoriam, one other thing angered me at last night's ceremony. The orchestra played off several winners before they could even begin to complete their acceptance speeches. Indeed, Judy Chin, one of the winners of the Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling for The Whale (2022), just got up to the mic when she was played off. Her co-winner, Annemarie Bradley didn't get to say anything. Speaking as someone who has watched the majority of Academy Awards ceremonies for the past forty years, I am really not worried about how long acceptance speeches are. In fact, I want to hear them. I was then disappointed that Miss Chin and others were played off before they could say anything.

Here I hope I don't sound overly negative. For the most part I enjoyed last night's ceremony. That having been said, the Academy has quite a bit of room for improvement. They really should make sure that whoever they get to host is actually funny, and knows and understand the fans watching at home. They shouldn't be joking about how long the ceremony is or making tasteless jokes about someone who has recently died. The In Memoriam should be longer and more inclusive. I really don't care if it runs 10 minutes, as long as it includes every star I love who has died.. When someone as famous and beloved as Paul Sorvino has died, make certain to include him in the In Memoriam. Winners should be allowed to make their acceptance speeches without fear of being played off. And, finally, don't worry about how long the ceremony is. I think I can speak for most film buffs when I say we don't care how long it. This is our Super Bowl. Treat it as such.

No comments: