Friday, July 22, 2022

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello

In some ways this July has felt more like January to me. Okay, the temperatures are hardly like January. It has been overly hot even for Missouri in July. Even so, having eulogized individuals on this blog for the past 18 years, it seems to me that January is the month when more people (at least celebrities) die than any other. This year might be the exception. I swear more people have died this July than usual. Most of my posts this month have been eulogies and I still have at leat two more to write. Today, I have decided to take a break and post something different.

It was 45 years ago today that Elvis Costello's debut album, My Aim is True, was released in the United Kingdom. The album would prove to be successful, going to no. 14 on the UK albums chart. It was also critically acclaimed and has since been come considered a classic. The Third single from My Aim is True is "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes." The song didn't chart in the United Kingdom or the United States, but it remains one of my favourite Elvis Costello songs. I love its Byrds-inspired sound and its subject matter is unusual


No comments: