Wednesday, December 22, 2021

TCM Remembers 2021

I think I can speak for most Turner Classic Movies fans when I saw we simultaneously look forward to and dread TCM Remembers each year. We look forward to it because it is the best In Memoriam of beloved stars that any TV channel, network, or organization does. We dread it because we know that when we watch it there will be loads of tears.

This year I imagine TCM fans cried a good deal, as an inordinately large number of beloved stars died this year. When I first saw TCM Remembers 2021 this past Saturday I managed to maintain my composure, only tearing up at such beloved stars as Pat Hitchcock, Betty Lynn, Willie Garson, Jessica Walter, Ed Asner, Dean Stockwell, and Norman Lloyd. I did not break down until they got to Michael Nesmith. If there is one thing I love as much as classic film, it is The Monkees. My tears only grew more when they got to Jane Powell, one of my all time favourite actresses. In fact, if I had done this year's TCM Remembers, it would have been either Jane Powell or Ed Asner who have gotten the end spot. I love Christopher Plummer, but Jane Powell and Ed Asner are, well, Jane Powell and Ed Asner.

I do have to say I loved this year's choice of song. If it sounds familiar, it is because it is a cover of R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People" by Reuben and the Dark X AG.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, get out the tissues, because here it is.

No comments: