Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Turner Classic Movie's New Look

Today Turner Classic Movies unveiled what it is calling "a network rebrand." It includes a new logo for TCM itself, new logos for TCM's programming blocks (including Noir Alley), new sets, and a new tagline. From what I have seen on Twitter and Facebook, reaction to the new look has been mixed. Some fans like everything about the new look. Others like some aspects of the new look, but not others (for instance, they might like the new sets, but not the logo). Yet others hate everything about the new look. For any fans worried that Turner Classic Movies might be changing, I have to point out that the network rebrand is cosmetic. TCM is going to continue as it always has, showing classic movies uncut and commercial free 24 hours a day.

According to a Turner Classic Movies press release, the network rebrand is meant to reflect "... the evolution in the way modern audiences are engaging with classic movies." Pola Changnon, general manager of TCM, said of the network rebrand, "Our new look better reflects the vibrant brand and respected industry authority that TCM has become over the years, with an eye toward the future. Fans can still enjoy the same curated classic film experience, now presented with a bold new energy that reflects today’s audience."

I have to admit that I am one of those people who has mixed feeling about Turner Classic Movies' network rebrand. I love the new tagline, "Where Then Meets Now." I think it perfectly summarizes what TCM is and always has been. It is much superior to "Let's Movie," a tagline I have always disliked (the use of nouns as verbs grates on my nerves).

I also like what I have seen the new sets. While the sets are supposed to be in "a more contemporary direction," from what I have seen they have a bit of a Mid-Century Modern look. For me that is perfect for a channel that shows classic movies. Indeed, they remind me of my childhood.

What I don't like about the network rebrand are the new logos. The new TCM logo isn't too bad, but to me it is inferior to the classic logo. In fact, I don't think it "better reflects the vibrant brand and respected industry authority that TCM has become over the years." What is more, it seems to me to look less contemporary than the classic logo. While I might warm to the new logo (even if I will never love it like I do the old logo), I seriously dislike the new logo for Noir Alley. It is too bright for a programming block devoted to film noir. They really should have either stuck with the classic logo or gone with something darker. Quite simply, they should have gone with something more, well, noir. I do hope they continue to make the classic TCM and Noir Alley logos available on merchandise. I really don't want T-shirts or coffee mugs with the new logos.

TCM also has a new sonic identity, but I have yet to hear it (I haven't watched TCM yet today), so I don't have an opinion on it. I do hope they did a better job with the new sounds than they did the logos!

I do have to say that while I have mixed feelings about the network rebrand,  I will continue to be an avid TCM fan and loyal viewer. Turner Classic Movies is still the best channel out there, even if its logo might be less appealing than some others.

1 comment:

Caftan Woman said...

All I want is the older and more convenient schedule on the website, but apparently that is too much to hope for! (whine, complain, grumble)

I haven't really watched any intros in the last couple of days so all the new stuff, beyond the online photos, is still there for me to discover. I'll probably be jealous because I can't afford new furniture.