Saturday, July 3, 2021

TCM Spotlight: Star Signs with Susan Miller


Astrology is one of those subjects with equal numbers of adherents and detractors. Regardless of how one feels about astrology, I have to admit it is as good an excuse as any to show some good movies. Every Tuesday this month TCM Spotlight is on Star Signs with Susan Miller. Susan Miller is an astrologer who has written eleven books on the subject and a regular columnist for Vogue and InStyle. She will co-host with Alicia Malone, talking about the qualities of each sign and how they apply to particular stars. Of course, this means we get to see some fine movies as well.

Indeed, over the course of the month Turner Classic Movie will show such films as The Long, Long Trailer (1954), The Cincinnati Kid (1965), Love in the Afternoon (1957), To Have and Have Not (1944), Rebel without a Cause (1955), and Gilda (1946). Among the stars who will be discussed are Lucille Ball, Steve McQueen, Audrey Hepburn, James Dean, and Rita Hayworth.

If I have one caveat about Star Signs with Susan Miller, it is their choice of Elizabeth Taylor for Pisceans and the characterization of Pisceans as "highly sociable." I must admit that I have my doubts about astrology, at the same time I feel that my Piscean friends and I have a great deal in common. Among those things most of us have in common is that we are not "highly sociable" and tend towards introversion. In that regard, I think Elizabeth Taylor may be atypical of Pisceans, so that Sidney Poitier or Jean Harlow or another more introverted actor may have been a better choice for the sign. I do have to agree that Pisceans tend to be romantic (although not all of my Piscean friends are), intuitive, and loyal and generous as well. Of course, then again, there could be nothing to astrology and any similarities between my Piscean friends and I may just be because, well, thet're my friends ("birds of a feather..." and all that).

Below are my choices of movies to watch during TCM Spotlight: Star Signs with Susan Miller

Tuesday, July 6
7:00 PM The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
11:00 PM The Bad and the Beautiful (1953)

Tuesday, July 13
7:00 PM Love in the Afternoon (1957)
9:30 PM Grand Hotel (1932)
11:30 PM To Have and Have Not (1944)

Tuesday, July 20
7:00 PM Rebel without a Cause (1955) 
11:15 PM Gilda (1946)

Tuesday, July 27
11:00 PM The Gay Divorcee (1934)

No comments: