Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Halloween Unlike Any Other

This year's COVID-19 pandemic has altered the way people live around the world. One of the things impacted by the pandemic has been the celebrations of various holidays. Halloween in 2020 is no different. In many areas of the United States, traditional events have been cancelled and there are restrictions in place in many locations that make some traditional Halloween activities impossible. In most parts of the United States, both Halloween parties and haunted houses are actively discouraged, if not outright banned. A perfect example of how this Halloween will be different from others is Los Angeles County. The Los Angeles County Department of Health will not permit any large gatherings, whether they are inside or outside, this year. For this reason haunted houses, Halloween parties, and carnivals have been cancelled throughout the county. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health allows trick-or-treating, but is actively discouraging it. What are allowed in Los Angeles County this Halloween are drive-in movies and car parades.

In my hometown the city council has placed no restrictions on the celebration of Halloween, but they are actively discouraging trick-or-treating, large Halloween parties, or haunted houses. In some respects, it doesn't matter that there aren't any restrictions, as I don't know of anyone planning on handing out treats this year or holding Halloween parties. No one has opened a haunted house this year. I know of only one Halloween event in this area and that is a trunk or treat. Even then, this trunk or treat will require masks (not Halloween masks, but masks to protect against COVID-19) and as much social distancing as possible.

For those of us who love Halloween, this can all be depressing. While I decorated for the holiday as usual, it won't be the same without trick-or-treaters. What do I plan to do for Halloween. Well, aside from handing out treats, I will do what I always do. I will watch a lot of horror movies and Halloween themed movies. I might buy some candy for myself, as I always wind up eating any leftover Halloween candy anyway!

Like all of us I am hoping that this pandemic will soon come to an end. I have to admit that as I work from home and have never been one to go out a lot, its impact on my life has been minimal. That having been said, Halloween is one place where the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting me a good deal. I am truly hoping that next year we can have a more typical Halloween.

No comments: