Thursday, January 2, 2020

Announcing the Sixth Annual Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon

I am announcing A Shroud of Thoughts' sixth annual "Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon". The first five years were fairly successful, so I am looking forward to another year's worth of good blog posts. For those unfamiliar with the Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon, it is a blogathon in which bloggers write entries about their favourite episodes of their favourite classic television shows. This year it will take place on March 20, 21, and 22.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Posts in the blogathon must be about an episode from a scripted drama. Episodes of reality shows, talk shows, game shows, and variety shows are ineligible. That having been said, posts can be on episodes from any genre of scripted dramas: animated shows, anthology shows, detective shows, police procedurals, science fiction shows, situation comedies, and so on. I also have to say that episodes can be from scripted dramas that aired at any time of day. They don't have to be from prime time alone. If one wanted to write about his or her favourite episode from his or her favourite Saturday morning cartoon or daytime soap opera, one could.

2. Because this blogathon is dedicated to classic television and I think a classic is something that must have stood the test of time, episodes must be from shows that are at least 25 years old. That means one cannot write posts on episodes from shows that debuted after 1995 (nothing from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, let alone Blackish). Now here I want to point out that the episode itself does not have to be 25 years old, only the show on which it aired. Law & Order debuted in 1990 and ran until 2010, so that its final season aired after 1995. Because Law & Order is over 25 years old, however, one could still write about an episode that aired in the 2009-2010 season.

3. Given my love of British television, it should come as no surprise that posts do not have to be about episodes from American shows alone. Posts can be about episodes from any show from any country as long as the show is a scripted drama and debuted over 25 years ago. If you want to write about your favourite episode of The Saint, The Little Hobo, Jaianto Robo, or Escrava Isaura, you can.

4.  I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from The Twilight Zone, someone else could still write about another Twilight Zone episode.

5. In keeping with ground rule no. 4, I am asking that if you participated in the past years' blogathons that you write about a different episode from what you did the past years. That having been said, you could write about an episode from the same show.  If you wrote about the Star Trek episode "Amok Time" last year, then you could write about the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" this year.

6. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between March 20, March 21, or March 22 2020.

7. On March 20 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page. If you want you can use one of the graphics below or make your own!

If you want to participate in the Favourite Television Show Episode Blogathon, you can simply comment below or you can get a hold of me either on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come March 20 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon.

A Shroud of Thoughts: Batman, "The Purr-fect Crime"/"Better Luck Next Time"

Moon in GeminiThe Six Wives of Henry VIII, "Catherine Howard"

Caftan Woman: Magnum P.I., "Holmes is Where the Heart Is"

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: I Love Lucy

Crítica Retrô: Top Cat, "Choo Choo Goes Ga Ga" 

Hamlette's Soliloquy: The Big Valley, "Gunfight in Limbo" 

The Midnite Drive-In: The Dick Van Dyke Show, "It May Look Like a Walnut" 

Taking Up Room: McGyver, "Halloween Knights"

Once Upon a Screen...The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "The Lars Affair"

Dubsism: The Rockford Files, "The Competitive Edge"

The Wonderful World of Cinema: The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, "See the Monkey Dance"

The Horn Section: The High Chaparral, "It Takes a Smart Man"

The Movie RatTiny Toons, "Acme Bowl"

A Scunner DarklyBaywatch Nights, "Night Whispers"

Whimsically Classic: Beverly Hills, 90120 "Rebel With a Cause"

Hollywood Genes: Faerie Tale Theatre, "The Boy Who Left Home to Find out About the Shivers"

Various Ramblings of a Nostalgic Italian: Sanford and Son, "Home Sweet Home"

Realweegiemidget Reviews Films TV Books and moreThe Fall Guy, "Reluctant Traveling Companion"

The Everyday Cinephile: Police Squad!, "Testimony of Evil (Dead Men Don't Laugh)"

Below are some graphics you can use for the blogathon (or you can always make your own)!
 







22 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

I'm in! I just haven't settled on my choice. I always look so forward to this blogathon. (It may come down to a coin toss.)

Debbie Vega said...

One of my fave annual blogathons! I covered an American show last year, so time for a British one. I have chosen to write about the "Catherine Howard" episode of The Six Wives of Henry VIII (1970).

Caftan Woman said...

OK. It's decided. Unless I change my mind, which I don't think will happen.

This year, I'm going with MAGNUM, P.I.: HOLMES IS WHERE THE HEART IS, 1984.

said...

Yay, I'm glad this blogathon is back!
I'd like to write about the Top Cat episode "Choo Choo Goes Ga Ga". I love this cartoon!
Cheers!
Le

Quiggy said...

Can I have the walnuts episode of Dick Van Dyke?

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Sign me up for the Big Valley ep "Gunfight in Limbo" this year!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi there

Can you add me with the British TV Series, The Professionals Series 1 Episode 11, Long Shot?

from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

Rebecca Deniston said...

Yes, please! I'd like to write about the "Halloween Knights" episode of MacGyver, if that's OK.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Rebecca,that would be perfect! What is your blog's URL?

Rebecca Deniston said...

Oh, and my blog is http://takinguproom.wordpress.com

Citizen Screen said...

Hi!

I'd love to join this fun event with episode "The Lars Affair" from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." Let me know if that works.

Thank you,

Aurora
Once Upon a Screen
@CitizenScreen

J-Dub said...

I'd like to join this blog-a-thon with an episode of The Rockford Files called "The Competitive Edge."

dubsism.com
dubsism@yahoo.com

Virginie Pronovost said...

I'm glad this is back, one of my favourite blogathons. :)

I will go with The Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode "See the Monkey Dance" which stars Roddy McDowall

Here's the link to my blog: https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

Hal said...

After missing out last year, I'll return. I'll tackle THE HIGH CHAPARRAL: "It Takes a Smart Man".

Bernardo Villela said...

Love this blogathon. I'd love to write about the Tiny Toons episode "Acme Bowl".

Bernardo Villela said...

Apologies. I didn't sign the TINY TOONS request. This is Bernardo from The Movie Rat.

Kevin Sturton said...

Hi,

Can I do BAYWATCH NIGHTS "Night Whispers"?

Best Kevin.
A Scunnder Darkly

Kayla said...

I would like to do the episode "Rebel With a Cause" from "Beverly Hills, 90210."

https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/

Kayla

Zoe K said...

I'm a bit late to the party, but may I sign up with Faerie Tale Theatre: "The Boy Who Left Home to Find out About the Shivers"? - Zoe (Hollywood Genes) at zestyz.wordpress.com

Keith said...

I hope it's to too late -

I'd love to do "Home Sweet Home" from Sanford and Son.

Keith
www.nostalgicitalian.com

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi Hope all good with you. Can you add me back into the blogathon with The Fall Guy, "Reluctant Traveling Companion" aka the episode with Richard Burton. from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

Shawn said...

Hope it's not too late to join but I'd love to do "Testimony of Evil (Dead Men Don't Laugh)" from Police Squad. Excited to see everyone's posts!

theeverydaycinephile.com