Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Announcing the 5th Annual Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon

I am announcing A Shroud of Thoughts' fifth annual "Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon". The first four years were fairly successful, so I am looking forward to another year's worth of good blog posts. For those unfamiliar with the Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon, it is a blogathon in which bloggers write entries about their favourite episodes of their favourite classic television shows. This year it will take place March 22, 23, and 24.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Posts in the blogathon must be about an episode from a scripted drama. Episodes of reality shows, talk shows, game shows, and variety shows are ineligible. That having been said, posts can be on episodes from any genre of scripted dramas: animated shows, anthology shows, detective shows, police procedurals, science fiction shows, situation comedies, and so on. I also have to say that episodes can be from scripted dramas that aired at any time of day. They don't have to be from prime time alone. If one wanted to write about his or her favourite episode from his or her favourite Saturday morning cartoon or daytime soap opera, one could.

2. Because this blogathon is dedicated to classic television and I think a classic is something that must have stood the test of time, episodes must be from shows that are at least 25 years old. That means one cannot write posts on episodes from shows that debuted after 1994 (nothing from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, let alone Blackish). Now here I want to point out that the episode itself does not have to be 25 years old, only the show on which it aired. Law & Order debuted in 1990 and ran until 2010, so that its final season aired after 1994. Because Law & Order is over 25 years old, however, one could still write about an episode that aired in the 2009-2010 season.

3. Given my love of British television, it should come as no surprise that posts do not have to be about episodes from American shows alone. Posts can be about episodes from any show from any country as long as the show is a scripted drama and debuted over 25 years ago. If you want to write about your favourite episode of The Saint, The Little Hobo, Jaianto Robo, or Escrava Isaura, you can.

4.  I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from The Twilight Zone, someone else could still write about another Twilight Zone episode.

5. In keeping with ground rule no. 4, I am asking that if you participated in the past years' blogathons that you write about a different episode from what you did the past years. That having been said, you could write about an episode from the same show.  If you wrote about the Star Trek episode "Amok Time" last year, then you could write about the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" this year.

6. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between March 22, March 23, or March 24 2018.

7. On March 22 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page. If you want you can use one of the graphics below or make your own!

If you want to participate in the Favourite Television Show Episode Blogathon, you can simply comment below or you can get a hold of me either on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come March 22 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon.

A Shroud of Thoughts: ER, "Night Shift"

Caftan Woman: Gunsmoke, "The Guitar"

Realweegiemidget Reviews Films TV Books and more: Moonlighting, "The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice"

In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood: The Big Valley, "Earthquake"

Crítica Retrô: The Flintstones, "The Monster from the Tar Pits"

Moon in Gemini: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Chuckles Bites the Dust"

Coffee, Classics, & Craziness: The Fugitive, "Nightmare at Northoak"

Hamlette's Soliloquy: Maverick, "A Shady Deal at Sunny Acres"

John V's Eclectic Avenue: The Outer Limits, "The Bellero Shield"

Pop Culture Reverie: Poirot, "After the Funeral"

The Midnite Drive-In: Batman, "Hot Off the Griddle/The Cat and the Fiddle"

The Stop Button: Studio 57, "Young Couples Only"

Various Ramblings of a Nostalgic Italian: The Twilight Zone, "Time Enough At Last"
                                                                      The Honeymooners, "TV or Not TV"
                                                                      The Honeymooners, "A Matter of Record"
                                                                      WKRP in Cincinnati, "Turkey's Away"

Pale Writer: Sharpe, "Sharpe's Revenge"

Below are some graphics you can use for the blogathon (or you can always make your own)!


33 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

You know I'll be here. I'll try to settle on a title in a couple of days.

Sincerely,
Someone who has watched too much classic TV in her lifetime

Caftan Woman said...

This year I would like to write about the season 1 Gunsmoke episode, The Guitar.

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hey, Congratulations you are one of my 15 nominees in the Versatile Blogger category... https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/about/my-blogging-awards/5-fabulous-blog

Andrew Wickliffe said...

Hey Terry,
I'm definitely in! But I have no idea what episode I'm doing yet... I want it to be something great so I'll be trying things out before may. (Twilight Zone's Miniature is a current contender, but I haven't actually seen it so...)

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks, Paddy! I have gotten you down for it.

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hello, can you add me with "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" the last episode of MASH, Thanks Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Gill! And thanks for the nomination.

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

i realised late last night that I already wrote about the MASH series recently. May I review the The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice episode of Moonlighting instead please? And congrats again for your nomination, you deserve it. You have a great blog. Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got it corrected, Gill!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Thanks xx

Crystal Kalyana said...

Awesome. I've been eagerly awaiting for the announcement of this blogathon. When I messaged you a few weeks ago I had an episode in mind, but I've been thinking it over, and I would like to do something different. I have to get back to you when I decide on my topic.

said...

Yay! It's finally time for me to write about The Flintstones and one episode they did spoofing Hollywood, The Monster from the Tar Pits.
Cheers!
Le from Critica Retro

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks, Lê! I got you down for it.

Debbie Vega said...

Hi, Terry! Please put me down for the "Chuckles Bites The Dust" episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Thanks!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Debra!

Eva said...

Yay! I always love this blogathon. I'd like to write about my favorite 'The Fugitive' episode - "Nightmare at Northoak".

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Eva!

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Hi, Terence! I believe you've got Eva credited at my blog, Hamlette's Soliloquy. Hers is Coffee, Classics and Craziness.

ANYWAY! Put me down for reviewing the Maverick episode "A Shady Deal at Sunny Acres" on my Hamlette's Soliloquy blog :-)

Terence Towles Canote said...

Sorry about that, Hamlette! Anyway, I have you down for the Maverick episode "Shady Deal at Sunny Acres" (along with "Gun-Shy" my favourite Maverick episode).

John V said...

Hi Terence, I'd like to write about The Outer Limits episode "The Invisibles."

John V at http://jveclectic.blogspot.com

Thanks!

John

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks, John! I have got you down for it.

John V said...

Hi Terence,

Would you mind if I switch my episode of The Outer Limits to "The Bellero Shield?" I've been re-visiting the series recently, and I'm finding that one is resonating with me a lot more than "The Invisibles" at this point. Thanks! I appreciate it!

John V at http://jveclectic.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

Sure, John! I will go ahead and get it changed.

John V said...

Thanks!

Robin Franson Pruter said...

I'd like to do the Poirot episode "After the Funeral." It's after 1994, but Poirot debuted before that. Or is it too much a TV movie?

Robin Franson Pruter said...

Sorry I forgot my blog. http://popculturereverie.wordpress.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

Robin, Poirot certainly qualifies for the blogathon! Anyway, I got you down for "After the Funeral".

Quiggy said...

After seeing the banner with Batman and Robin, I initially thought of posting about some of my favorite "Holy ..." Robin quotes, but then I remembered you prefer single episodes. I'm hoping that the double episode format of Batman qualifies as a single episode. I'd like "Hot Off the Griddle/The Cat and the Fiddle" which includes my absolute favorite "Holy ..." quote.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I've always considered the double episodes of Batman to essentially be two part episodes, each with its own title, so "Hot Off the Griddle/The Cat and the Fiddle" definitely qualifies! I will get you down for it, Quiggy!

Andrew Wickliffe said...

How about 'Young Couples Only' from the "Studio 57" Anthology show

Terence Towles Canote said...

I'll get you down for it, Andrew!

Caftan Woman said...

It's Friday morning. No coffee yet, but raring to go:
https://www.caftanwoman.com/2019/03/the-5th-annual-favourite-tv-episode.html

Bernardo Villela said...

My post on Tiny Toons is now live on The Movie Rat: https://themovierat.com/2020/03/22/favorite-tv-show-episode-blogathon-tiny-toons-acme-bowl/