Monday, July 2, 2018

TCM Spotlight: 50 States in 50 Movies


This month every Monday and Tuesday TCM Spotlight is featuring 50 different movies, one set in each state, as well as a movie set in Washington D.C. (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, of course). Turner Classic Movies will be airing some truly great movies, including some of my favourites. I am very happy that to represent Missouri they are showing Meet Me in St. Louis (1944).  The neighbouring states of Illinois and Iowa also got lucky as far as the movies representing them go (also two of my favourites): The Front Page (1931) and The Music Man (1933).

That having been said, some of TCM's choices do seem a bit odd to me. King Kong (1933) is one of my all time favourite movies (it is in the top ten), but I think more of it is set on Skull Island than the state of New York. And, quite honestly, while The Graduate (1967) is set in California, I don't think of it as a particularly Californian movie. Indeed, the plot could take place anywhere. For California I would have gone with Vertigo (1958) or L.A. Confidential (1997). Of course, I have to admit that if I had been in charge of choosing movies for 50 Movies in 50 States some of my choices might seem odd to a lot of people. I would have gone with The Haunted Palace (1963) instead of Little Women (1933) for Massachusetts. I feel I have to apologise to Massachusettsans, but when I think of their state I tend to think more of H. P. Lovecraft than Louisa May Alcot!

Anyway, be sure to check out 50 States in 50 Movies on Turner Classic Movies every Monday and Tuesday in July!

2 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

We'll have fun with this spotlight.

One of these years I would like to see them do a movies set in Canada marathon for Canada Day. It wouldn't be too difficult and it would be something all audiences would enjoy.

Terence Towles Canote said...

A day of Canadian movies for Canada Day would be cool! I hope TCM does one some day.