Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The 5th Annual Rule, Britannia Film Blogathon (formerly the British Invaders Blogathon)

Okay, I know what you are thinking. "You have never held a Rule, Britannia Film Blogathon, so how can this be the 5th annual one?" Well, the Rule, Britannia Film Blogathon is essentially my old British Invaders Blogathon with a new name. I have never really cared for the name "British Invaders" as it really would not be applicable to those living in the United Kingdom. When I finally realised there has never been a "Rule, Britannia" blogathon, I simply decided to rename the blogathon with something much cooler!

Anyway, beyond the new name the blogathon is pretty much the same. It is a celebration of British films. While many people think of Hollywood when they think of classic movies, the fact is that the United Kingdom made many significant contributions to film over the years. From the Gainsborough melodramas to Hammer Films to the British New Wave, cinema would be much poorer without the British.  I've scheduled this year's British Invaders Rule, Britannia Blogathon  for August 3, August 4, and August 5 2018.

Here are the ground rules for this year's blogathon:

1. Posts can be about any British film or any topic related to British films. For the sake of simplicity, I am using "British" here to refer to any film made by a company based in the United Kingdom or British Crown dependencies. If you want to write about a film made in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, then, you can do so. Also for the sake of simplicity, people can write about co-productions made with companies from outside the United Kingdom. For example, since 2001: A Space Odyssey is a British-American co-production, someone could write about it if they chose.

2. There is no limit on subject matter. You can write about any film in any genre you want. Posts can be on everything from the British New Wave to the Gainsborough bodice rippers to the Hammer Horrors. I am also making no limit on the format posts can take. You could review a classic British film, make an in-depth analysis of a series of British films, or even simply do a pictorial tribute to a film. That having been said, since this is a classic film blogathon,  I only ask that you write about films made before 1993. I generally don't think of a film as a classic until it has been around for thirty years, but to give bloggers more options I am setting the cut off point at twenty five years ago.

3. I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover From Russia with Love (1963), someone else could write about another James Bond movie or even the James Bond series as a whole.

4. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between August 3, August 4, or August 5.

5. On August 3 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page.

If you want to participate in the Rule, Britannia Blogathon, you can simply comment below or get a hold of me on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come August 3 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon:

The Stop Button: Stormy Monday

Realweegiemidget Reviews: Withnail and I (1987) 

 Caftan Woman: The Mudlark

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: The Elephant Man 

Phyllis Loves Classic Movies: The Smallest Show on Earth (1957)

The Hitless Wonder Movie Blog: The Ghoul (1933)

Moon in Gemini: The Crying Game

Taking Up Room: Chariots of Fire 

The Stop ButtonBrief Encounter

Cinematic Scribblings: The Go-Between

The Midnite Drive In: Morons from Outer Space

Cinematic CatharsisYellow Submarine 

A Scunner Darkly: Universal Soldier

The Wonderful World of Cinema: The Rocky Horror Picture Show 

Liberal EnglandThe Magnet

Wadswords: "Movie Crash Course: Blackmail
  
Crítica Retrô: Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

Silver Scenes: Turn the Key Softly (1953)

Movierob:  Sink the Bismarck (1960), Time Bandits (1981), and The Sound Barrier (1952)

Below are banners for participants in the blogathon to use (or you can always make your own):

35 comments:

Andrew Wickliffe said...

Can I do "Stormy Monday" for The Stop Button?

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Andrew!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi there; Would love to review Withnail and I (1987), just found it in a second hand shop over here in Finland, hows that for fate... Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

Caftan Woman said...

I would like to offer something on 1950s The Mudlark, a UK/US co-production from Twentieth Century Fox filmed at Denham Studios.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Gill and Paddy, I have you down for both of them! It sounds like you got lucky, Gill. I love Withnail and I!

Crystal Kalyana said...

Hey Terence,

This is the perfect opportunity for me to write about "The Elephant Man" ( 1980 ), so put me down for that thanks. I was wondering when you were going to announce this again.

My blog: In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Crystal!

Phyl said...

Put me down for “The Smallest Show on Earth” (1957).

www.phyllislovesclassicmovies.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Phnyl!

Dan Day, Jr. said...

I think I've participated in every year of this blog, so...may I cover the 1933 film "The Ghoul"?

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Dan!

Debbie Vega said...

Hi, Terry. Since 1992 films are now eligible, I'd like to write about The Crying Game.

Rebecca Deniston said...

Hi, Terry! I'd like to do "Chariots of Fire," if that's OK.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for them, Debra and Rebecca!

Amanda said...

Would love to do Brief Encounter at thestopbutton.com!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Amanda!

Erin said...

Could I write about The Go-Between? My blog is Cinematic Scribblings: https://cinematicscribblings.wordpress.com/ Thank you!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Erin!

Quiggy said...

How about Morons from Outer Space?

Quiggy from The Midnite Drive-In

http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Quiggy!

Barry P. said...

Hi there... I'd like to do Yellow Submarine.
Barry P. from Cinematic Catharsis, http://cinematiccatharsis.blogspot.com

Virginie Pronovost said...

Hi Terence! I'm glad this blogathon is back! I would like to write about The Rocky Horror Picure Show (British-American prod!) :)
I'm at The Wonderful World of Cinema
https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Ginnie!

Jonathan Calder said...

Can I do The Magnet - the minor Ealing comedy?

Terence Towles Canote said...

Jonathan, I got you down for it. It put it down for Liberal England, but let me know if you want to post it to another blog.

Kim W. said...

Hi - would it be possible to submit something I've already posted? If so I'd like to go with Hitchcock's "Blackmail".

Terence Towles Canote said...

Which of your blogs is it on, Kim?

Kim W. said...

At present it is on a blog called "WadsWords" - I am in the early stages of moving all the movie posts to their own blog, but that won't be ready in time for this blogathon, I fear.

Here's the link, for your assessment - just in case!

https://kwadswords.wordpress.com/2017/12/29/movie-crash-course-blackmail/

said...

This blogathon is a great chance for me to wirte about Alec Guinness - times 8! I want to write about Kind Hearts and Coronets, 1949.
Cheers!
Le

Terence Towles Canote said...

Kim that's perfect! I have it down.

I have you down for it, Le!

Caftan Woman said...

I was just perusing the line-up. This is going to be great!

The Metzinger Sisters said...

Could you put me down for "Turn the Key Softly" ( 1953 )? It's a little-known British gem. - Constance ( Silver Scenes at silverscenesblog.blogspot.com )

Terence Towles Canote said...

Constnace, I got you down for it!

Quiggy said...

http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com/2018/08/is-that-ray-gun-in-your-pocket-or-are.html

A day early. My post for "Morons from Outer Space"

Kim W. said...

Hey there! I can't remember if I linked you to the post proper for BLACKMAIL: https://kwadswords.wordpress.com/2017/12/29/movie-crash-course-blackmail/