Saturday, April 7, 2018

My Choices for the 2018 TCM Classic Film Festival

It is a sad fact that I have never gotten to attend the Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival. What is more, I won't get to attend it again this year. That does not keep me from playing armchair quarterback and going through the schedule and deciding which films I want to see and which events I want to attend. This year's festival appears to present fewer conflicts for me with regards as to what I would like to see than most years , although there are still a few.

Thursday, April 26:

Given I have never gone to TCMFF, I might attend the First Timers Meet-Up at 10:00 AM, although honestly I know many people who have attended the festival, not to mention many of the "tricks of the trade" for surviving and enjoying the festival. I would definitely attend "So You Think You Know Movies", hosted by Bruce Goldstein, which sounds like fun. Of course, I would also want to attend the Welcome Party at 5:00 PM.

It is at 6:30 PM that I would have my first conflict of the festival. As a long time fan of Martin Scorsese, I would definitely want to see the first ever Robert Osborne Award presented to him, not to mention see The Producers (1968) on the big screen with Mel Brooks in attendance. The problem is that it overlaps with Them! (1954) at 7:30 PM. Ultimately I would probably go see Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, and The Producers, although I would hate missing Them!. There is also another conflict later in the night. Throne of Blood (1957) begins at 9:15 PM, while Fail-Safe (1964) begins at 9:45 PM. I wouldn't be able to see both, although since Akira Kurosawa is my all time favourite director I would probably attend Throne of Blood.

Friday, April 27

If I could wake up that early, I would probably attend Strangers on a Train (1951) at 9:00 AM. Regardless of whether I could get up early enough for Strangers on a Train, I would definitely try to see Witness for the Prosecution (1957) with Ruta Lee. As many of my friends know, I adore Ruta Lee and I would like to see her in person. At 2:30 PM I would probably try to see "Harold Lloyd: New Dimensions in Sight and Sound", as I have always been a Harold Lloyd fan. At night I would catch Creature from the Black Lagoon at 7:15 PM (in 3D no less) and then Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter (1957) at 9:30 PM.

Saturday, April 28

Saturday presents the biggest conflicts of the whole festival for me. At 9:00 AM I can stay in bed and sleep (I have never been a morning person), watch His Girl Friday (1940), The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Kiss Med Deadly (1955), or A Letter to Three Wives (1949). I love all of these movies. What is worse, they are hosted by many people I like a good deal as well (The Ox-Bow Incident by Scott Eyman and Kiss Me Deadly by Eddie Muller). I would have a big problem deciding which to go through, particularly at a time when I am usually asleep or just getting up!

12:00 noon presents me with another conflict. I would like to see Bullitt (1968) on the big screen at 11:45 AM. I am a huge Steve McQueen fan and it is one of my favourites of the movies he made. Unfortunately at 11:30 AM there is This Thing Called Love (1940). Not only does it star Rosalind Russell and Melvyn Douglas, two of my all time favourite actors, but it is also hosted by Illeana Douglas, Melvyn Douglas's granddaughter and one of my favourite people in the whole wide world. I hope Steve McQueen would forgive me, but I would probably go see This Thing Called Love.

At 2:30 PM I would probably attend "An Invisible History: Trailblazing Women of Animation". It overlaps with Sunset Boulevard at 3:00 PM, but I am a huge animation fan and I am sure I will have other opportunities to see Sunset Boulevard on the big sreen. At 7:00 PM I would go see The Lost Weekend (1945). 9:30 PM presents me with more conflicts. I love The Big Lebowski (1988), but it is being shown at the same time as The Raven (1963), with Sara Karloff in attendance. At 9:45 is Scarface (1932), with John Carpenter. I really don't know which of these I would decide to attend, although I would love to see Sara Karloff or John Carpenter in person.

Sunday, April 29

Okay, Sunday I would probably sleep in (or in my case, get up when I usually do...). At 12:30 PM I would go to "Growing up Mankiewicz" which centres on the Mankiewicz family. As a fan of seeming the entire family (from Herman and Joe Mankiewicz to Josh and Ben Mankiewicz) I would want to attend this, particularly as it is being moderated by Illeana Douglas. At 3:30 PM I would watch Silk Stockings (1957) and at 7:00 PM I would attend Animal House (1978). Naturally I would go to the Closing Night Party.

Of course, here I must point out that I did not take into account the possible distance between events (I have never been to Los Angeles, so I'm not familiar with the terrain), so that could affect some of what I would go see if I was actually there. I also did not take into account that at some point I will have to eat, not to mention meet up with my many friends who will be attending the festival. Regardless, as usual, TCMFF offers so much that it is impossible for one to see everything!

1 comment:

Caftan Woman said...

H'm. You have started me thinking. There's no reason that we can't have our own shadow festival at home watching, if available, the titles we would choose if we could attend. Not the same, but we'll be watching movies anyway, so why not?