Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Announcing the 4th Annual Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon

Today I am announcing A Shroud of Thoughts' fourth annual "Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon". The first three years were fairly successful, so I am looking forward to another year's worth of good blog posts. For those unfamiliar with the Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon, it is a blogathon in which bloggers write entries about their favourite episodes of their favourite classic television shows. This year it will take place March 23, 24, and 25.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Posts in the blogathon must be about an episode from a scripted drama. Episodes of reality shows, talk shows, game shows, and variety shows are ineligible. That having been said, posts can be on episodes from any genre of scripted dramas: animated shows, anthology shows, detective shows, police procedurals, science fiction shows, situation comedies, and so on. I also have to say that episodes can be from scripted dramas that aired any time of day. They don't have to be from prime time alone. If one wanted to write about his or her favourite episode from his or her favourite Saturday morning cartoon or daytime soap opera, one could.

2. Because this blogathon is dedicated to classic television and I think a classic is something that must have stood the test of time, episodes must be from shows that will turn 25 years old this year. That means one cannot write posts on episodes from shows that debuted after 1993 (nothing from Friends, let alone The Big Bang Theory). Now here I want to point out that the episode itself does not have to be 25 years old, only the show on which it aired. Murphy Brown debuted in 1988 and ran until 1998, so that its final season aired after 1993. Because Murphy Brown is over 25 years old, however, one could still write about an episode that aired in the 1997-1998 season.

3. Given my love of British television, it should come as no surprise that posts do not have to be about episodes from American shows alone. Posts can be about episodes from any show from any country as long as the show is a scripted drama and debuted over 25 years ago. If you want to write about your favourite episode of The Saint, The Little Hobo, Jaianto Robo, or Escrava Isaura, you can.

4.  I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from The Twilight Zone, someone else could still write about another Twilight Zone episode.

5. In keeping with ground rule no. 4, I am asking that if you participated in the past years' blogathons that you write about a different episode from what you did the past years. That having been said, you could write about an episode from the same show.  If you wrote about the Star Trek episode "Amok Time" last year, then you could write about the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" this year.

6. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between March 23, March 24, or March 25 2018.

7. On March 23 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page. If you want you can use one of the graphics below or make your own!

If you want to participate in the Favourite Television Show Episode Blogathon, you can simply comment below or you can get a hold of me either on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come March 23 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon.

Crítica Retrô: Combat!

Caftan Woman: Ellery Queen, "The Adventure of Miss Aggie's Farewell Performance"

Portraits by Jenni: Route 66, "There's a Birdcage on my Foot"

Hamlette's Soliloquy: Combat!, "The Long Way Home"

Realweegiemidget Reviews: Star Trek, "The City on the Edge of Forever"

The Midnite Drive-In: Planet of the Apes, "The Liberator"

The Horn Section: F Troop, "The Day The Indians Won"

Moon in Gemini: Upstairs, Downstairs, "Guest of Honour"

CineMaven's Essays From the Couch: Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Apex"

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: The Addams Family

Whimsically Classic: The Brady Bunch, "Adios, Johnny Bravo" 

Love Letters to Old Hollywood:  Moonlighting, "The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice."

Barry Bradford: The Dick Van Dyke Show, "A Show of Hands"

Coffee, Classics, & Craziness: The Rat Patrol, "The Do Re Mi Raid"

The Wonderful World of Cinema: Alfred Hitchcock Presents,  "Breakdown"

Silver Scenes: A Blog for Classic Film Lovers: To be announced

Below are some graphics you can use for the blogathon (or you can always make your own)!








30 comments:

Eva said...

So, so excited for this!

Now the problem is figuring out what episode I'll chose...

said...

Yay! I'll write about the TV series Combat!
Cheers!

Caftan Woman said...

This year I think I will go for an episode of Ellery Queen, and it will be (drum roll, please) The Adventure of Miss Aggie's Farewell Performance.

Eva said...

I'd like to write about the Fugitive episode 'Nightmare at Northoak'. My current blog address is https://classicsandcraziness.wordpress.com/ Thanks!

Momofseven said...

I will participate in this year's blogathon, and write about an episode from Route 66, season 2, episode 4, "There's a Birdcage on my Foot, which featured guest star Robert Duvall as a heroin addict. My blog is portraitsbyjenni@wordpress.com

Debbie Vega said...

I will definitely be participating this year but I'm still trying to decide what to write about! Will get back to you soon.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I missed this last year somehow, but I am totally in for this year! I'd like to write about the Combat! two-part episode "The Long Way Home." My blog is still Hamlette's Soliloquy :-)

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi, can I review the Star Trek episode, The City on the Edge of Forever from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/

Quiggy said...

Can I do an overview of "Planet of the Apes" TV series? There was only one season, unfortunately, and it disappeared, but I recently acquired a DVD set of the series. I did a briefer overview during my "Year of the Monkey" series in 2016, but this will allow me to go into more detail on it.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Quiggy, I'd say that since it only ran one season (if I recall correctly, I think it might have been more like a half season), you could go ahead and do an overview of the show!

Hal said...

I'll go back to F TROOP this year, doing my favorite Black and White episode since I did my favorite Color episode a few years back. Put me down for "The Day The Indians Won".

Debbie Vega said...

Finally decided on this year's topic:

I will write about the "Guest of Honour" episode of the original Upstairs, Downstairs series.

CineMaven said...

HI...

I would like to write about an ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS episode called: "APEX" starring Patricia Breslin, Mark Miller and Vivienne Segal. Thanks. I'm at CineMaven's Essays From the Couch.

https://cinemavensessaysfromthecouch.wordpress.com/

Kayla said...

I would like to write an entry on "Adios, Johnny Bravo" from "The Brady Bunch."

Whimsically Classic
whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com

-Kayla

Michaela said...

So glad to see this is back! After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to finally write about my favorite episode of Moonlighting, "The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice."

LoveLettersToOldHollywood.blogspot.com

Eva said...

Would it be too late to change my entry? If so, I'd like to write about the Rat Patrol episode "The Do Re Mi Raid".

Eva said...

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm the blogger who was going to review Nightmare at Northoak (on Coffee, Classics, and Craziness) and I'd like to change that entry to Rat Patrol's The Do Re Mi Raid. Hope that clears everything up!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got it corrected, Eva!

Eva said...

Thanks!

Virginie Pronovost said...

Hey Terence, I'm glad this is back! :) Please put me down for "Breakdown" from Alfred Hitchcock Presents!

https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

Sarah said...

I can’t wait to read these!

The Metzinger Sisters said...

Hot diggity! Put me down for this event...I just need time to think of an episode. ( Silver Scenes )

Terence Towles Canote said...

Metzinger Sisters, I got you down!

Quiggy said...

Last minute change, I know, but after finally getting around to watching "The Liberator" episode of Planet of the Apes, I think focusing on just that one episode is worth more than the overview I planned. Hope that's not too much trouble for you.

Terence Towles Canote said...

That would be fine, Quiggy!

Michaela said...

My post is up (and early)! Here's the link:
https://loveletterstooldhollywood.blogspot.com/2018/03/moonlighting-dream-sequence-always.html

Thanks for hosting this event again!

Quiggy said...

http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com/2018/03/planet-of-apes-liberator.html

The planet of the Apes calls to you. My post is now up.

Caftan Woman said...

Ellery Queen is on the case: http://www.caftanwoman.com/2018/03/the-4th-annual-favourite-tv-episode.html

Kayla said...

Johnny Bravo is rockin' the suit and ready to become the next big 70s thing:

https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/2018/03/23/favorite-tv-show-blogathon-adios-johnny-bravo-the-brady-bunch/

-Whimsically Classic aka Kayla

The Metzinger Sisters said...

The Mystery of Pirate's Cove is waiting to be solved by Nancy Drew fans: https://silverscenesblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-mystery-of-pirates-cove-hardy.html

Thanks for hosting this event, Terence! I look forward to it every year. :-)