Thursday, January 12, 2017

More News from the Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival


Unless circumstances change dramatically in the next few months, it looks like I won't be making the TCM Classic Film Festival this year. Most of the reason I would like to attend the festival is that I would finally be able to meet my many classic film friends in person (many of whom I have known for years). Of course, much of the reason I want to attend the festival is the opportunity to see films I love on the big screen for the first time.

Indeed, yesterday Turner Classic Movies released more news regarding the festival, including news about some of the films that will be shown this year. Among these films are some of my absolute favourites. There are going to be screenings of both Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) and The Palm Beach Story (1942). Arsenic and Old Lace is my favourite Frank Capra film besides It's a Wonderful Life (1946), while The Palm Beach Story is my absolute favourite Preston Sturges movie. They are also showing two of my favourite Pre-Code movies The Front Page (1931) and Twentieth Century (1934).  Another must-see movie for me would be Harold Lloyd's film Speedy (1928).

Of course, much of the appeal of the TCM Classic Film Festival are the honoured guests. This year Peter Bogdanovich will be on hand for screenings of his films The Last Picture Show (1971) and What's Up, Doc?. Genevieve Bujold will introduce Le Roi de cœur (1966--King of Hearts for we English speakers). So far the guest I would want to see the most is Kate MacMurray, Fred MacMurray's daughter, who will take part in the festivities surrounding the premiere of a restored version of The Egg and I (1947) for its 70th anniversary.

This year's festival certainly looks to be shaping up to be a good one. I have no doubt more TCM will add more films to the schedule that I love, as well as more special guests. I look forward to seeing my classic film friends posting blog posts about the festival and pictures from it!

No comments: