Monday, February 15, 2010

Doug Fieger, Leader of The Knack, is Dead

Right now I am too upset to do a complete blog post. Yesterday, 14  February, 2010, Doug Fieger lost his long battle with cancer at the age of 57. I grew up loving the British Invasion bands of the Sixties, particularly The Beatles and, The Who. Then in the late Seventies their American counterparts arose in large numbers, led by Cheap Trick and The Knack. As the leader of The Knack, Doug Fieger produced what may be the single most successful American power pop song of all time, "My Sharona." I fell in love with The Knack the first time I heard the song on the radio. In fact, after The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, and Cheap Trick, they would become my favourite rock group of all time. It is for that reason right now that I am very, very sad.

Tomorrow I will eulogise Doug Fieger, who was leader and a founding member of The Knack. For now I will leave you with a live performance of their greatest hit, "My Sharona."

No comments: