Thursday, February 2, 2006

Groundhog Day 2006

Today is Groundhog Day. Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of winter. That having been said, I don't see how that is particularly significant for Missouri. It could be freezing cold in Pennsylvania for the next six weeks and abnormally warm here. Anyway, I think the groundhogs around here probably saw their shadows, as it is sunny today. Of course, after the weather we've had for the past month (this January was the second warmest on record), I'm not sure we will have six more weeks of winter. I think one has to have had a winter in order to have six more weeks of it....

Besides being Groundhog Day, today is also significant as the 10th anniversary of Gene Kelly's death. He died February 2, 1996 at the age of 83. Those of you who read this blog know that he is one of my favourite actors, directors, and dancers. I think he was one of the most talented men to have ever worked in film. Indeed, with Stanley Donen he directed what many consider to be the two greatest musicals of all time--Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris. Many of his films rank among my favourite movies of all time. It is sad to think of his passing, but at 83 I don't think it can be argued that he did not live a long, rich, and full life. And he left behind an amazing legacy of musicals and other films.

At any rate, today finds me in a poor mood. That is hardly surprising. I have not really been happy since October. And today just finds my mind turning once more to what I have lost in the past several months. It really doesn't matter that I am making more money than I have in quite some time. It really doesn't even matter that I have a roof over my head and food to eat. After the hurricanes that have hit last year, it seems that one cannot take such things for granted. But then, quite frankly, I would give up my home and the money I am currently making all for one, little thing. It is hard to be happy when you've found what you want in life and, well....

Anyhow, sad songs just seem to fit my mood today. In the Seventies and Eighties, as now, I listened to diverse types of music. I listened to a good deal of heavy metal (most everything except for crap like Grim Reaper and pop metal bands like Motley Crue and their ilk--*bleh*). I listened to a lot of the New Wave bands (Blondie is still a favourite). I listened to Goth (Sisters of Mercy are among my favourite bands). I listened to Cole Porter and Irving Berlin even then. And, of course, I listened to the British Invasion bands of the Sixties. Among the groups I listened to as a youngster were The Cars. There was a point in my life where I owned every one of their albums. In fact, I think I would still rank Candy O among my favourite records. I wasn't alone in this, as it seems to me that they were one of the biggest bands of the late Seventies and Eighties. Anyhow, today's song is a Cars song. And a sad one at that.

"I'm Not the One" by The Cars

No comments: