Friday, November 4, 2005

The King Kong Trailer

"And the prophet said: And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day it was as one dead."


According to the original King Kong, that quote is an old Arabic proverb. I rather suspect it was just a creation of screenwriters Merian C. Cooper, Edgar Wallace, James Ashmore Creelman and Ruth Rose, but it is a great quote nonetheless. Indeed, it is a great quote from one of the greatest movies of all time. Next month a remake of that classic is due to come out, directed by one of my favourite directors nonetheless.

I was a fan of Peter Jackson even before The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Both Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners rank among my favourite films. I have been looking forward to King Kong for a long time. For that reason I was very happy to see the trailer yesterday. The film looks just incredible, with many of the scene very close to the original. What's more is that it looks like Jackson has stayed true to the spirit of the original movie. Ultimately, King Kong is not about a giant ape rampaging through New York City. Instead, it is one of the most tragic love stories in the histories of film. After seeing the trailer, I think Peter Jackson will indeed do it justice.

No comments: