Thursday, November 4, 2004

Current Songs I Like

I suppose at any given time, everyone has recently released songs that they really like. I'm no different than anyone else in that respect, so that there are a few songs out right now that I particularly enjoy.

Among them is the most recent single put out by the Denton, Texas band called Bowling for Soup, "1985." The song is about a middle aged housewife named Debbie who is "preoccupied with 1985." Now there have been songs about people who are stuck in the past before (Led Zeppelin's "Livin' Lovin' Maid" comes to mind), but for the most part they have been condemnatory of their subjects. This is not the case with "1985" It is wholly sympathetic with Debbie in her yearning for a bygone era. Considering how well it has done on the charts, it would seem a lot of people can sympathise with her. I know I can, as I do sometimes find myself nostalgic for 1985.

Another song that is out right now that I really like is "Lady" by Lenny Kravitz. Now I'll admit that the song is somewhat repetitive--Kravitz uses the word "lady" nearly 20 times throughout the song--but it reminds me of something that could have been released in the early Seventies. I think it is a very fun song.

"She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 6 is another song out right now that I like. Near as I can tell, the song is basically about a fellow who has yearned for a girl for years and been there for her through thick and thin. The song seems very romantic to me, especially with its lines about spending everday in the pouring rain on her corner. It takes a man truly in love to wait in the pouring rain...

Finally, I love "Accidentally in Love" by Counting Crows (a group I've always loved anyhow). To me the song sums up that the out of control feelings and the euphoria that occurs when one finds out he or she is in love.

Anyhow, there are more songs out right now that I do like, but I really can't list all of them right now. It does seem that the past few months have been good for music.

No comments: