Tuesday, July 21, 2026

"Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon

It has been another long, hot day and I don't feel up to a full-fledged post today. I plan to eulogize Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon tomorrow. He died on July 17, 2026 at the age of 89 after a brief fight with cancer. I've enjoyed his songs since childhood, when I would hear them on oldies programs and oldies radio stations. More recently, I enjoyed his appearances on Svengoolie, for which he wrote the songs "Hey Svengoolie" and "The Svengoolie Stomp." What was so wonderful about Freddy Cannon's music is that it was always fun and upbeat. I don't think he ever did a broken-hearted ballad. His songs were the equivalent of a good popcorn movie. No matter how bad your day was, they let you escape your troubles for a time. 

His biggest hit was probably "Palisades Park," written by Chuck Barris (yes, that Chuck Barris). In 1962, it went to no. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. It would later be covered by everyone from Jan & Dean to The Beach Boys to The Ramones. Like most of Freddy Cannon's song, it is a lot of fun and lists a lot of actual rides at Palisades Park. Anyhow, for now I will leave you with "Palisades Park" by the late, great Freddy Cannon.

No comments: